7-I like you

"I think Kyle is sleeping with Lucy."

Choking on my coffee, my eyes watered, and I gasped for air until my lungs were finally clear. "Ava," I finally managed wearily. "You've got to stop obsessing."

She rolled her eyes. "I knew you'd take her side."

"Lucy's dating a doctor. She's not trying to steal Kyle from you."

Tapping her manicured nails on the table, she pouted. "I have a feeling, and I'm usually right about these things."

"Have you talked to my brother?" I asked patiently.

"Like he'd tell me the truth if he was cheating," Ava huffed.

The last thing I wanted to do was get involved in my brother's love life, but Ava was my friend and her parents had always looked out for us. It wouldn't hurt to talk to Kyle and find out what was going on.

I knew he was in love with Ava. Unfortunately, Kyle didn't trust easily and Ava had broken his heart when she'd left him for a tattoo artist while he was in Afghanistan. It was going to take time, and Ava wasn't the most patient person.

"I'll talk to him."

"Thank you! You're the best Izabelle. Saturday night drinks are on me! I've been dying to check out this new club downtown, and you can tell me what you found out."

I frowned. "I'm spending the day at the lake with Katie and Lucy. You can come too."

Ava grimaced, looking put out. "You're always doing stuff with them. I miss it when it was just the two of us."

Guilt ate at me. I was hanging out with Lucy and Katie a lot. "Fine. We'll do something soon. Let me know when and where."

"Saturday. At the club," she demanded petulantly.

"Ava." Why did she have to be difficult?

"Whatever. Friday night. But I still want to go clubbing."

"Awesome." I forced a smile and tried to look like I couldn't, but I'd rather have a few teeth pulled. Clubbing was not my idea of fun.

After I left Ava, I drove to Kyle's house and found him lifting weights on the deck.

"You call this taking it easy?"

He laughed. "I call this getting back in shape. I'm tired of sitting around."

I glanced down at this left leg, which was encircled by the Iiizarov device. "You should be careful."

"You worry too much." Kyle sat up, grabbed a towel, and grinned. "Tell me you've changed your mind about moving in with me."

"Not a chance little bro."

"I've got plenty of room. That dump you're living in isn't safe for the rats."

"Stop," I said sinking into a chair. "You sound just like Hunter."

This caught his attention. Kyle's brows lifted. "Hunter?"

"Captain Donovan? You remember him. He's Lucy's dad?"

"I know who he is, Izzy. I'm surprised you're calling him Hunter."

"I'm not a kid anymore, of course I use his first name. He's a nice guy, a little protective, but nice." I tried to sound casual. "He brought me back to your place to get my car the other night."

"Hmm." He appeared thoughtful. "Scott's not still bothering you, is he?"

"You worry too much." I threw his own words back at him.