35-Epilogue

Izabelle

Darryl shoved me forward.

Without stopping to think I took off running as fast as I could, but when I reached the gate, I fumbled with the latch.

My hands shook.

I glanced back and screamed, but his big hand slammed over my mouth. Suddenly, a crash pierced the night.

Darryl grabbed me and pressed the cold barrel of a gun to my temple. "Show yourself! Or she dies!"

His grip tightened around my neck, and I struggled to breathe.

Hunter stepped from the shadows, walking slowly with his hands in front of him, palms up. My heart fluttered with hope.

He sauntered toward us confidently as if the situation was only a minor inconvenience, and he was sure he'd emerge the victor.

Hunter would save us. God was with him. His eyes were on Darryl, his expression emotionless, giving nothing away.

"Do you know where you daughter is, Captain?"

Hunter's stoic expression never faltered. "I just want to talk."

"You want to read me my rights. Let us go or she dies."

I whimpered as his grip tightened painfully, but Hunter never glanced my way.

"I'm impressed with how you managed to set all of this up without anyone ever suspecting anything," he said with a smile.

"Don't mess with me," Darryl shouted, his fingernails biting into my flesh.

"I'm interested a making a deal."

Darryl snorted. "I don't deal with pigs."

Hunter stepped forward.

I smelled Darryl's fear, felt his sweaty body against mine. Nausea rolled my stomach, but I fought it back, determined to stay in control.

I had no idea what Hunter's plan was, but he appeared unarmed and completely unconcerned as he advanced on us.

"Not another step! Or I'll kill her, I swear!"

"Easy," Hunter drawled.

Darry's grip tightened, squeezing my neck. "Get back!" he shouted.

My lungs burned. I needed air but there was none.

Hunter stepped back. "You don't want to kill her."

I felt myself slipping. The barrel of the gun kissed my temple. "You're right," Darryl spat.

Suddenly Darryl shoved me away, and aimed at Hunter.

Gasping for air, I looked up, and didn't hesitate. I jumped in front of Hunter just before I heard the explosion of the gun.

"Izzy no!" Hunter shouted.

I closed my eyes one last time.

***

"Please don't die." Hunter cradled me against his chest. "She's breathing. I don't see any blood."

I wasn't sure whom he was talking to. Lifting my shirt, I heard his sharp drawn breath and then his voice broke. "Thank God," he breathed. "There's no bullet wound."

I moaned softly, confused. I'd been shot. How could there be no wound? Slowly, the fuzziness began to fade and I was able to focus. My body felt liked it had been sacked by a linebacker, but I was alive.

Opening my eyes, I saw Hunter talking on the phone. His gaze landed on me and I saw the relief fill his eyes.

"Hunter?"

"I'm here, baby."

Tears filled his eyes.

"Am I going to die?" I asked shakily.

"No," he whispered. "Not anytime soon."

I thought about that for a moment. "I feel okay, just a little sore. He missed."

Something glinted in his eyes. "He didn't miss. You were shot." He sounded baffled. Then I felt his fingertips brush my skin as he lifted the charm that rested over my heart, the one that Laura had given me.

"God," I breathed.

"Yes." He brushed at his wet cheek. "He sent his angels to protect you."

Something tugged at my consciousness. "Lucy!" I tried to sit up, suddenly panicked. "We have to find Darryl. He threatened her!"

"He's in custody. Lucy's safe. I listened to the recording you made of Darryl on your phone." Hunter's chest rose with a deep breath and he cradled me tenderly in his strong embrace.

"Then it's over. We're finally free." I touched Hunter's arm, which was wrapped around me. "Most of all we found Him."

Hunter's gaze dropped to mine. "You mean Jesus. Yes. Our lives are complete after finding Him."

I sat up and Hunter took my hand, our fingers entwining. "This is our happy ending."

"Yes," Hunter whispered against my ear. "Now, we serve the Lord and live our lives for Him."

THE END