14-You believe in God believe also in me

Izabelle

For the first time since I could remember I slept peacefully the entire all night without once waking to the sound of police sirens or my own screams.

Alone in my apartment, I'd stir at the slightest sound never completely able to relax. It wasn't how I wanted to live, and despite what Hunter and Kyle thought I wasn't stubbornly independent. The sad truth was I wanted to move in with my brother, but it wasn't fair that he should have to take care of me.

Maybe I should take Hunter up on his offer to find me an affordable apartment. I wanted to, but if I did that our bet would be off the table and I'd have no more reason to see him. I could ask him to keep reading the Bible with me. He'd probably agree, and Lord knows I needed it after my reckless comment about kissing him. Would God approve of that?

Patience, daughter.

Startled, I glanced around Lucy's room. My imagination was running wild. Shrugging it off, I headed into the bathroom and dressed. Fifteen minutes later I found Hunter watching the sunrise on the patio with a mug of coffee and a Bible resting on his knee.

He glanced up, surprised to see me. "Hey."

"Did you forget I spent the night?"

"Of course not."

We stared at one another lost in the moment. Hunter was the first to look away. "I didn't expect you up this early." He closed the Bible and set it on the table. "You sleep ok?"

"I've never slept so well." I took a sip of my own coffee, gripping the warm mug, and nodded at the Good Book. "Finishing John without me?"

His mouth tugged at the corners. "I was reading Revelation."

"The end of the world Book? I'd like to hear that."

Hunter's eyes flicked to me and then to the Bible, which he took from the table and flipped open. He appeared suddenly uncertain. "You sure?"

I nodded.

"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and eat with him, and he with me."

It was as if each word was imprinted on my heart. "Read it again."

With a nod, he read the verse again.

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

My heart beat faster.

...so be zealous and repent.

Something shifted within me.

...Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

I hung on to each word.

If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and eat with him, and he with me.

I closed my eyes. The words hummed through me with power. Something stirred within me. I had no idea what to do.

Listen, daughter.

"Izabelle?"

My eyes flew open. He sounded concerned.

"Are you alright?"

"Just paying attention." My voice was slightly breathless. "He was talking about more than food."

"Yeah, he was." Hunter seemed to understand how moved I was. "How about I take you to breakfast and wherever else you need to go?" he asked gently, smiling. "We can even talk about our lists. You'd like that, right?"