28-Thank you Jesus

Izabelle

Praying with Hunter was one of the most intimate experiences I'd ever had with anyone. More powerful than any words or touch.

I'd always thought emotions—love, or sex was what connected two people and brought them closer together, but I was wrong. God showed me that, and he used Hunter to help.

We thanked the Lord, put in our requests, and listened. I'm not even sure how long it lasted, but when it was over I felt the emptiness inside me filled with what I knew must be the Holy Spirit.

Hunter felt it too. I saw it in his eyes.

The only time he left me last night was when he went to fetch a pillow and blanket, which he spread on the floor of Lucy's room. I told him he didn't have to stay, but he insisted he wouldn't leave me.

When I awoke in the morning, he was still on the floor. I drank in the sight of him, resting peacefully in sleep. He looked younger, vulnerable, and so very handsome.

Easing from the bed, I tiptoed into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I changed into one of Lucy's dresses and went into the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast. It was the least I could do for him.

I was pulling cinnamon rolls from the oven when I saw him with his shoulder propped against the doorframe. "Something smells like heaven."

Turning my breath caught at the sight of Hunter dressed in dark slacks, a peacock blue shirt with a tie, and a coat slung over his shoulder. "It's the least I could do. You've given me so much."

Closing the distance between us, he put his arm around my shoulders and my cheek pressed against his chest. He smelled incredible, like soap and aftershave and man. "We've given each other so much," he corrected.

"Right," I drawled. "I've given you trouble and embarrassment. You've saved my life. It's not the same."

"Izzy."

"I'm joking. Mostly. It makes me happy to bake for you, and I like hearing you say my name."

"Thank you." Stepping back, he smiled and my insides turned to mush.

I glanced down at Lucy's simple dress, then at Hunter. "Am I underdressed? I've never been to court before."

Something flickered in Hunter's eyes. "You look beautiful."

"I was hoping for sober, responsible, and honest."

"The judge will see all those things. God is on our side."

"Hunter, I lo—" I stopped the confession, not wanting things weird this morning. "I Iook ok then?" It was obvious from his expression he knew what I'd really been about to say.

"Izabelle." My name was a rough, tender whisper, wrought with emotion.

My lower belly fluttered. "Hunter?"

He waited until our gazes locked. "I've always loved you. I fought it, at first because you were too young. Because I was too old. Other reasons. I'm tired of fighting. I know it's God pulling us together."

"He really is, isn't he?" My eyes went misty. "I love you, Hunter Donovan. I have since that first night. If things don't go well for me today, I want you to find—"

"Do not finish that sentence," he ordered, his warm, gentle hands cupping my face. "I love you. I want to marry you, Izabelle."

"Yes! But not until—"

"Have faith." He lowered his forehead to mine. "I know this is probably the worst proposal in history, but I want you to know my intentions."

"Oh, my gosh, I love you so much." My heart filled with so much love I thought it would burst. He held me against his chest as if I was precious to him.