Chapter 29: Brothers

Edward: For the first time in eight years, this is my first time to catch a fever a fever again. It has been so long but I still remember how it feels.

The fall from the cliff and into the river…I thought we would die. Reena was so scared she was just hiding it but I clearly can tell

But I am amazed on how she handled herself. She still managed to keep her cool and she even apologized to me! Hah, I never imagined that one. She is a proud daughter of the Brightnotts after all. But during that time, I saw the real Reena. She is kind and gentle.

I was also surprised to see her crying. She’s still a girl no matter what. Having grown up in another country all by herself toughen her up. It must be hard for her who is only nine years old. Her mother wasn’t there for her. I wonder why? There must be a reason but still…sending her only daughter during those times is…cruel.

I need to stop speculating. I mustn’t judge others. The duchess must have had her own reasons.

I’m kinda sensitive to these kinds of things because…I haven’t experienced having a mother. Father was my only parent. My cousin meanwhile was my constant company and friend.

When my father died, my world crashed. I wanted to die too. I didn’t care about the fact that I haven’t seen the world yet. I didn’t care. Father was the only one I had.

I didn’t want to fight my sickness anymore. I want to just disappear and see father and mother. Only the nursemaid was by my side, holding my hand during those dark times. She told me to get well soon and stay alive for my cousin’s sake.

That’s when I remembered him. The news just came in earlier that both his parents had died and he lost his eyesight.

For him…for his sake…I realized that i need to live because we only have each other. I need to be there for him. He needs me.

I don’t know how it happened but strength suddenly flowed through me and I was able to go out without feeling weak. Was it because of my resolve? My desire to protect him?

My fever slowly vanished that day.

When I found my cousin, he was standing alone in the ruins of the building. His eyes were unseeing and were just staring into space.

I slowly walked towards him and embraced him tightly. I told him that I’ll take care of him…that he can always count on me…and I will never leave him…

I look at him as my own brother and best friend

“How are you feeling?” someone asks me.

I am currently in a hospital in Vierra. My cousin ordered for me to be taken here instead to the hospital near the resort.

“Fine, Vincent…” I mutter. He’s sitting by the window drinking tea and he hasn’t left my side yet. “I’m okay. You should get back.”

“It’s alright since today’s Sunday.” He answers.

“But you told her to go back and review some reports for the company.” I say. “That’s unfair…you’re abusing your authority, big brother”.

“Hmph.” He says. “She knows what I really meant was for her to go home and rest.”

I chuckle. I sometimes enjoy teasing him when it’s just the two of us. I want him to smile like before when we were young.

He walks towards me and touches my forehead. “Around 38 degrees…”

“You’re a human thermometer.” I say and he smirks at me.