Chapter 9: The Promise

Lance: The country of Wistcoástia was founded over a hundred years ago by the ten dukes that swore loyalty to never betray each other as long as they live. But the legacy and oath of the first dukes were destroyed when we were betrayed eight years ago. Who could have thought that our own allies would stab us in the back? Who could have thought that they themselves will spill the blood of the people they promised to protect? Those traitors shall pay dearly for what they have done…

“Lance…Lance?”

I suddenly snap back to reality. “I apologize…I was deep in thought. What were you saying, Ralph?”

I hear him sigh but I know that he is very patient especially with me.

“I was just telling you the results of the report that Bridgette sent.” He says, while typing fast in his laptop.

“So what did the report said again?” I ask while staring outside the window of our car.

“Our sales rose to five percent from the last report…well we already expected this because people have become more desperate to protect themselves and are willing to purchase our goods even if the prices are high…”

“The news about what happened to Philanter Academy might have caused this…” I say.

“Most likely…” Ralph agrees. “Philanter Academy after all has a very high reputation when it comes to security but it was suddenly breached.”

“It’s normal for the citizens to act like this.” I say. “What else did the report say?”

“Umm…the on-going designs and estimates of the cost of materials.”

“Alright…let’s review that later.” I repy.

“Bridgette is really amazing…she really captured what you wanted in the design and how it will work and its abilities.”

 “Of course…she is the best in that field. She is the CEO of the company. She lives up to her reputation very well.”  I say. "By the way...have you heard that someone proposed to her last week? Did she tell you?"

"...yes. She did mention it to me." Ralph says. From the tone of his voice, I can say that he is bothered. I stifle a laugh.

"Bridge, is very beautiful...she takes after our mother...and not only that...she's also talented." I say.

"She is full of pride with what she does and openly flaunts it to others. I don't totally agree though to her other bad habits..."

I just smirk and fold my arms. I already want to get out of the car but I can say that we are not still nearing our destination.

“I now regret not agreeing with your suggestion earlier.” I say.

“What suggestion?”

“That we ride a helicopter going there.”

“That’s too late now since we are already riding here. We can ride a helicopter next time we go there.” Ralph says. “Why suddenly regret it?”

“I don’t know. I think I’m just getting tired of sitting here.”

“We would be there in an hour and a half but there is currently a heavy traffic that’s why we are still stuck here in this place.” Ralph says.

“Driver, don’t you know any shortcuts around this place? Can’t we avoid the traffic?” I ask.

“No, sir.” He says. “I apologize.”

I sigh. I close my eyes and lean back. “Wake me when we get there.”

“Okay.” I hear Ralph reply, typing fast in his laptop.