Chapter 5

Lucy spotted Reep at the front of the boat and made her way there, while Melody saw her brother attaching one of the ropes that lead to a sail. She smiled walking towards him. Just before she reached him he spotted her as well and stopped his work for a moment.

"Mel, nice to finally see you today. I thought you were occupied with the kings", he exclaimed letting a harsh undertone sway in his voice. He stared at her intently, noticing her relaxed features. "You used magic today, didn't you?"

She looked down ashamed. "I'm sorry. But it was so restraining and the built-up energy made me fidgety and tense." 

"I know. But what if someone saw you or felt it. Did you thought about the consequences?", he sighed. 

"No. I'm sorry. But I did look around beforehand to make sure nobody came in."

He sighed again and rubbed his forehead. "It's alright, just be careful."

She beamed seeing it as an indirect permission to use magic as long as nobody saw it.

"But your wings are off limit!", he added. She nodded sadly but the smile on her face didn't falter.  "Did you already spoke to High King Edmund?"

She nodded but thought a bit before shaking her head. 

"Not really. We just exchanged pleasentries." 

Liam nodded in approval before a serious expression took over his face.

"Be cautious and don't associate much with him please. I heard the stories about him. He was a traitor and even though he changed, once a traitor always a traitor", he whispered to her making her eyes go wide with shock. How could he say something like that!

"He's your king!", she retorted angrily. 

"No, Caspian's our king", he exclaimed furiously having enough of her disobedience. "Don't think I don't see the looks you send him. He's your king as well, remember that. He would never see you as anything more than the healer on board."

"High King Edmund and High Queen Lucy are our rulers as well! Once a king or queen, always a king or queen of Narnia. And that were Aslans words!" She was getting more frustrated as the seconds ticked by by the words of Deliam that crept under her skin, making her remember his words. 

He just huffed angrily as he could not argue against Aslan. They both looked to the side as one of the sailors started to swear.

"For King Peter's sake, why doesn't this stupid rope budge." Matthew pulled at a rope that seemingly didn't budge one bit. "Ey, Deliam, swing your ass over here and help me out!"

Liam nodded to him shortly before glancing at Melody angrily.

"This conversation ist not over yet. And remember my words", he spoke strained before making his way towards Matthew to help him with the rope. Melody let out a breath, before relaxing again. She was relieved that he had to go. That made her look up with wide eyes. 

She was never this tense with her brother. But he never showed this overprotective side of himself towards her. He was always warily and strict with her magic but since they were on the Dawn Treader it took a different turn to the worse. She shook her head and focused on Edmund and Caspian that went to the middle of the boat. Caspian threw Edmund a sword that he effortlessly caught. 

Melody kept on looking while making her way to stand next to Drinian by the steering wheel who nodded to her, acknowledging her. 

"I think Edmund is going to win. I mean he was the best swordmen Narnia has ever seen." Melody turned to Drinian voicing her opinion. She had heard enough tales about his swordfighting ability.