Chapter 10

If she won't wake up again, he knew his life would be ruined. Not because the others would see him as a bad king. But rather because his heart would burst in tiny little pieces that would shatter to the ground, maing the loud bang echo across the world. Leaving scars all over his body and kingdom. And certainly over his mind, where all the good memories of her would be tainted sad and haunt him for the rest of his life. 

With heavy steps Caspian stepped away from the village, Edmund and most of the crewmen hot on his heels. 

"My king! My king!", shouted Lord Bern while holding what seemed to be a sword. It was merely identifiable by it's form and not by the normally shiny blade. The crusty muddy layer that covered the once beautyful sword had cracks going through it, but even then it didn't show the origin. Only King Edmund was able to identify it, being the ruler in the time it was made. 

"This was given to me by your father", explained the Lord. Ignoring the teary eyes of both kings not wanting to interfere with whatever they were going through, although he could guess. "I hid it safely in a cave all these years."

"That's an old Narnian sword", Edmund finally voiced his assumption, trying to hide the slight crack in his voice by clearing his throat.

"It's from your Golden Age. There are seven such swords, gifts from Aslan to protect Narnia. Your father entrusted them to us", Lord Bern continued before holding the sword out for Caspian to take. "Here, take it. And may it protect you."

"I don't need protection. Melody did", he mumbled not wanting anyone to hear it, but Edmund did. Slightly nudging Caspian, agreeing with him. 

Caspian studied the sword holding it up in the light, hoping to catch a glimpse of the shiny magical metal under it. But it was thickly covered in mud not letting anything show through it. 

It was like the hope inside of him. It was cornered by the the bad thoughts and pessimism, not thinking Melody will wake up ever again. But what most people underestimate is the power of hope and faith. These two are not fairytale characters. They are fighters that were thrown in the mud again and again, but still stand up to go for another round. Not giving up. 

The crowd began to cheer when Caspian held the sword up, seeing it as their final confirmation of winning over the slave traders. 

"Thank you my Lord." Caspian's gaze turned serious. "And we shall find your lost citizens."

And with these words Edmund and Caspian stepped away towards their ship.  Caspian faltered in his steps, turning to Edmund before giving him the sword, the latter admiring it. Vaguely remembering how it once looked. 

 Back on the ship again, they waited for the arrival of Melody impatiently. When they saw Tavros carrying a lifeless body on deck they both assumed the worst jumping over to him. 

"She's alive. But barely", he said not wanting to be bombarded by their painful silence. 

He carried her to her quarters, gently laying Melody on her bed. Waiting for Lucy to come back with the healing cordial. 

Meanwhile Edmund and Caspian made their way next to Tavros sitting on the ground watching Melody, hoping she would wake up at any moment now. 
When Lucy came back they sprung to their feet.

"Let's hope this works", whispered Lucy as she opened the mouth of Melody letting two drops fall into her mouth. 

They waited for long two minutes, but nothing happened. 

Until her eyes fluttered slightly. Lucy was the one who saw it, taking Melody's hand encouraging her to fully wake up. 

"Her wounds are not closing", noticed Edmund staring at her feet where the wounds of the fire were clearly visible.