TWELVE

You tried your best to keep your breath shallow and quiet as you ran through the wooded area, hot on Ghost's trail. 

Right now, you were thankful that you were able to change out of that ridiculous dress and those even worse shoes before you'd been followed down the winding backroads of Las Almas.

The trees around you were still crawling with cartel soldiers, you could hear their yells bouncing all over the place. There was no way you'd be able to get back to the car and back to the RV point yet. 

You'd lost your earpiece in the scuffle climbing out of the car, only Ghost still had his radio, but you knew for now, you were on your own.

"In here."

The hushed words of the lieutenant pulled you out of your thoughts, as he grabbed your hand, dragging you into a small cabin hidden away in the leaves. 

You scuffled in, Ghost slamming the door and locking it as you dropped to the floor, making your body as small as possible to stay out of view, clutching the memory stick in your fingers. 

Only once the group of soldiers who were following you ran clear of the cabin did you dare speak.

"What the fuck happened?"

"Dunno." He grunted, not even sparing you a glance.

"How did you know about this place?"

"It's one of Alejandro's safe spaces."

"Thank God for Ale."

You took your time in taking in the small room you now found yourself in. 

The thick layers of dust coating every piece of furniture told you that this hideout hadn't been used in years. There were two small chairs sitting in front of an old fireplace in the centre of the room. Off to one side, there was a door, leading into a small bathroom. Opposite, there was a single bed doused in pillows and blankets. 

One single bed.

Oh no.

"Ghost, this is 7-1, how copy?" the radio crackled.

"Soap, this is Ghost."

"Where the fuck are ye?"

"Holed up in on of Alejandro's old cabins. We won't be able to get back to camp until morning. Place is crawling with the enemy."

"Is (Y/N) with you?"

Soap mentioning your name made Ghost briefly turn toward you, before turning away again, "Affirmative."

"Alright, L.T. Sit tight and stay safe. We'll come for you at first light."

"Roger that."

For over an hour, that was the last thing you heard him say. 

It was at least midnight by now, and neither of you had said a word. The silence was suffocating. What's worse, he'd still barely looked at you. He hadn't even so much as blinked when you got yourself more comfortable, placing your very little belongings in the corner.

"Are we safe here?" you said, sick of the quiet.

"Yes."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes."

Frustrated with his monotonous responses you stood, "you gonna give me more than just shitty one-word answers?"

"No."

"Simon what the fuck-"

"Ghost." He said, voice slightly raised.