Just like the Rain

Ghost x Reader

Based on the song Rain by Sleep Token.

*NOT PART OF THE GHOST X REAPER SERIES*

Summary: Simon Riley is a shell of the man he once was. He is bruised, broken, misused, cast aside. The only release into peace he ever felt was the thrashing of rain, it's why he loved the violence of thunderstorms. Until he met you.

t.w // angst, fluff, trauma, sexual themes, bad language, military content, death, violence, military inaccuracies

a|n: I know this isn't an update about the new story, but I've worked so so hard on this one shot that I just had to share it with you. I hope you love it.

...

Just another day, the same routine.

Over and over.

It's why Ghost loved his team so much. Being in Task Force 141 gave him then sense of control and routine that he had so desperately craved in life. He knew who was coming, who was going; he knew the faces, the people.

But despite his love for them, despite the looming feel of a family here, he didn't quite feel like he fit in. He was never sure if they needed him like he needed them, not that he'd ever admit it.

He never felt like he was needed, he had never once felt the perfect fit for someone.

All that changed the second you had walked through the door.

Ghost was never the type to buy into romance, he didn't believe in that 'love at first sight' bollocks, but you...the way you walked in, head held high and confident alongside Price, changed everything.

You became that something he'd been waiting for.

For so long I have waited...so long that I almost became just a stoic statue fit for nobody

He stood still and silent as you were introduced, his heart fighting with his mind.

Anger ran through his veins, why had Price brought someone new? Why wasn't what they had already enough?

But the heat rising in his cheeks every time you so much as glanced in his direction fought with that emotion.

Little did he know, that forced under his intense stare, butterflies ran wild in the pit of your stomach, surpised at having captured the attention of the infamous Lieutenant Riley.

Over the coming weeks, you had settled into the team nicely, almost all of them making you feel welcome. But not Ghost, he kept well and truly distant, only speaking to you when necessary.

Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, and you'd come to accept the fact that your lieutenant just simply wouldn't bond with you.

I don't wanna get in your way, but I finally think I can say that the vicious cycle was over the moment you smiled at me

On the other side of it all, he was acting that way in order to save you from himself. He knew what he was, he knew how he could be. And even if you did want him the way he wanted you, he knew that he couldn't let it happen.