TWENTY THREE

With your comms no longer in your ear, you couldn't hear the conversations going on around you.

You couldn't hear Ghost and Price beg you to stop.

You didn't want to hear.

Kneeling down in front of him, Graves flinched, and then winced in pain as you removed the knife from his leg. 

You inspected it, collecting a little of his blood on the end of your finger, before leaning forward, wiping it on his face. He flinched again, and you smiled.

"Scared of me, honey?" 

"You're a fuckin' psychopath."

You laughed, shaking your head, "Yeah, well, you made me this way."

Rudy watched on in horror, and Soap, worried by the tone of your voice, called out for the rest of the team.

"You lot need to get here, she's gonna go fuckin' ham on him else."

"We're on our way, Johnny, hang tight."

"How's Price?"

"Angry. Lost a good cigar in the crash. Pilot's okay too." Ghost replied, "Reaper, do you copy?"

"She took out her comms, she's completely unreachable. Ya need to get here, L.T."

"We're comin'."

Soap and Rudy stood by, close enough to intervene if needed. Though, neither of them wanted to. You'd barely moved, or spoke, choosing to sit in front of Graves as he was bound against the pillar. You sat, twirling the knife in your fingers.

"Fucking hell, (Y/N). Just fuckin' talk." Graves spat.

Your eyes moved up to him, "How could you do this? Any of it?"

"Because it was the right thing to do."

"This is what you think is right? Fucking hell, Phillip. What the hell happened to you?"

"Shepherd happened, that's what."

"What, so he said jump, and you said how high?" you laughed.

"I fuckin' did this to keep you safe, how the fuck was I meant to know that Laswell would bring you in on this?!"

"How was this to keep me safe? You killed my fucking team!"

"I didn't want to!"

The footsteps of Ghost and Price were heard as they finally arrived. Now, you were leaning over Graves, knife to his throat as you yelled back and forth.

"What?"

"I didn't want to. After what happened with the Russian PMCs, Shepherd ordered me to eliminate anyone who questioned it. I had no fuckin' choice. It was their heads or mine."

"Are you serious? You sacrificed my team so you could live, and you think that makes you the hero?"

"I am a fuckin' hero! Do you have any idea how many people would have died if I didn't do what I did?"

You scoffed, turning away from him.

Ghost met your eye, and he held your gaze for a moment.

That's when you realised you were losing control.

"How can you choose him, (Y/N)? He's a fuckin' monster, a stone-cold killer. He can't love you."

"And you think what you did was love?" 

Tears welled in your eyes as your voice cracked.

"You think killing my team, cheating on me, destroying me to the point where I doubted my own skills was love? Is that what a hero does now?"