THREE

Over the next few days, you spent time getting to know your team.

You learnt that Alejandro was the leader of Los Vaqueros, and Rudy was his second in command. They'd known each other for decades, and had one of the best relationships you'd ever witnessed. 

Soap had been hand-picked by your brother for the 141, having known both him and Ghost for several years also. He made the most effort to spend time with you, telling you all about his home life and his interests.

He was the youngest of four, with three sisters. His mother and father were still happily together, but he'd joined the military after not feeling like he fit in with his family. Your heart lurched for him, finding yourself placing a comforting hand on his thigh as he spoke to you. 

That's when he'd stared at you, an odd grin on his face.

"What?"

"Yer just bonnie, lieutenant." he said, smiling cheekily.

You scoffed, rolling your eyes, "you're going to be trouble, aren't you, sergeant?"

"Maybe."

You knew Gaz and Alex fondly, so there was only one person left to get to know; 

Ghost.

He...was something else. 

He seemed to avoid you where he could, unless it was to ridicule your tactics or skill in training. 

The boys had you doing all sorts to gauge your abilities. First, they had you sparring in the ring, something you weren't keen on, and expressed as much. But who were you to defy direct orders from your Captain? None of them got in the ring with you, happy enough to watch you flatten some of the more eager Los Vaqueros soldiers that volunteered.

Next, your signature knife throwing. Possibly the only thing you did that earned you a slight compliment from the mask-wearer.

They'd set up several targets for you, and had you do multiple routines to show off your skill and accuracy. 

Every slam signalled a perfect bullseye.

"Fuckin' hell," Soap breathed, "she might even be better than you, L.T."

Soap nudged Ghost, earning a frustrated grunt.

"Yeah right." Ghost rolled his eyes.

You'd turned, smiling widely at your triumph as Price clapped you proudly on the back. You'd not heard Ghost's blatant criticism of you, but you had caught Alex's glare.

"Passed your tests yet, boys?" you quipped.

"You are very impressive, carino." Alejandro said, coming over to you and helping you collect your knives.

"Thank you, Alejandro."

"Please, call me Ale."

You smiled sweetly, before excusing yourself, leaving the men in the training area alone.

They murmured amongst themselves, all of them completely impressed by you, well...all of them except Ghost.

He just found your constant presence annoying, and then the fact that his own fucking team thought you were better than him? Absolutely not.

He was the lieutenant of this force, he was second in command. He was fucking Ghost. And having to adjust to someone of the same rank was not something he thought he'd ever have to do.

You'd made it clear you wouldn't be taking orders from him, too.

Every morning without fail, you'd been in his way. Every morning without fail, you did not recognise his presence. It grated on him, and the fact you gave him attitude every time he brought up your lack of skill only fuelled his fire more.