Chapter 17

Interrupting Gibbs' struggles, his phone rings. He sighs in relief and reaches over for his phone. "Hello?" he says, answering it. "Hey, Gibbs. The doctor just came out, looking for you. She wouldn't tell me anything about Jack," Vance says. "Okay, I'll be there soon," he says and hangs up.
Gibbs puts his phone down and takes a deep breath. He wipes off his wrist and wraps it up. He then puts his truck in drive and starts driving back to the hospital.
About ten minutes later, Gibbs walks out of the elevator and into the waiting room of the hospital. He spots Vance and walks over to him. "Did they tell you anything, yet?" he asks. "Nope," Vance replies, shaking his head.
Gibbs turns around and walks over to the front desk. "Hi, I'm Jethro Gibbs. A doctor came out looking for me earlier and I wasn't out here so I was wondering if I could speak to her about Jacqueline Sloane," Gibbs explains. "Yeah, I'll page her down here. She shouldn't be just a moment," the woman said. "Thank you," he says and the woman nods her head.
He walks back over to Vance and sits down beside him. Vance glances at Gibbs. "What happened to your wrist?" he asks. "Oh," Gibbs says, looking down at his wrist. "It's nothing. I just slipped and fell on a patch of ice and cut it open. I'll be fine," he says.
In reality, he didn't know if he was going to be. This was the same thing that was happening to Jack and he didn't know why it was happening to him. He didn't want to die, sometimes he felt like he was drowning - like he was dying. He didn't know what to do but he didn't want to think about it anymore.
He sees something coming toward him and looks up. It was the doctor. She quickly walks up to him, as if she was in a rush. "Hi, are you Mr. Gibbs?" she asks, stopping in front of him. "Yes, I am. How is she?" he asks, standing up to meet the woman.
"Your wife is a strong woman. If that bullet would've hit just two centimeters to the left, she would've died. It was touch and go for a couple of hours but your wife pulled through and is stable in room 204. She needs her rest so don't intentionally wake her up. You can go see her now. It's that hallway," she says, pointing. "On the right side, third room,"