Chapter 1: Hazel Martinez

Dedication:
Because of you,
I know I'm not a burden.
Because of you,
I know that I can be loved.
Because of you,
I know I'm enough.
Thank you, love.

"Okay, my young padawans. It's rug time!"

The scrambling of little kindergarten feet fills my heart with joy. I watch as they sit in the assigned spot, hustling to tell their friends to be quiet while I finish the day with their favorite thing.

What I have them do is a basic recap of all of the things that they learned, played with, and had fun doing. They just have to pick three of the best activities that they did today, and I have honestly found that they love it.

I think it's partly because they all find similarities between the activities they like and didn't like. It allows them to become more confident in their decisions and speak up in front of people without judgment or fear. And it tells me the ways they prefer to learn while I'm still learning the ropes around my new classroom and school.

It's been about three weeks since I moved to Westmoor. I had been at a teaching job in a larger city on the East Coast, but because I've lived in a city my entire life, I had always wanted to try out living in a small town.

When I saw that Westmoor was searching for new younger-level education teachers, more specifically a kindergarten teacher, I knew I had to apply. I haven't regretted it for a moment. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with Westmoor and the people that live here.

Besides everyone being so incredibly welcoming and friendly, it's a beautiful place to live. With the lake and forest surrounding me, I feel like I can breathe clearly for the first time. And when I say that, I can also breathe clearly without inhaling city smog.

But even though I have enjoyed living here, the transition has been a bit complex. Everyone knows everyone else. You walk down the street and are greeted by at least twenty people. There's a lack of people minding their own business.

I'm not doing anything outrageous, it's just much different than what I'm used to. It's weird having beers at the local bar with kindergarten parents and guardians you saw three hours ago. They are amazing people, so it's not a bad thing at all, it's just another transition.

"Miss Hazel."

"Yes, Leo?"

"Can I go first, please?"

"You may. Thank you for your great manners. Everybody, can we give our friend Leo a big round of applause for his kindness?"

Without hesitation, they clap for and congratulate Leo on being a kind person. I know it's a bare minimum act to be kind, but I feel like young kids still need to be encouraged and congratulated when they are kind.

Eventually, when kindness (hopefully) becomes second nature, the clapping won't be needed, but they're kindergarteners. They are still learning.

"Alright, my fellow friends. Let's give our undivided attention to Leo."

"I learned what five minus one was. It's four. I played with the finger painting. I had fun with all my friends."

I love these kids. They all make me want to have my own.

He didn't really answer the question correctly, but who cares, he's five.

Each one of them goes around the circle and tells me what they learned, played with, and had fun doing. Eventually, when everyone is done saying their piece, it's my turn.

"Miss Hazel! It's your turn."

"Yes, it is Emily. Let me think. I learned that clean-up is an essential part of the day, I played dolls with Christopher, and I had fun doing art projects with you all. Thank you for such an amazing day. I think I hear your families coming to pick you up, so what's the last thing we do?"