Chapter 25: Octavius West

Friday comes around pretty quickly. I didn't get to see much of Hazel over the rest of Wednesday and Thursday, both of our lives were busy enough to not be able to see each other for more than twenty minutes at the bar. 

Either I have to go to the warehouse or do something else for the MC or she has to do kindergarten teaching preparation. 

Since it's Friday night, and she has the entire weekend to do whatever she needs with me following her around, I've decided that it's time for us to have another date. I walk into her classroom, waving at the children who walk past me. I even get a couple of hugs. 

They're so cute.

"Hey, pumpkin. How are you doing?"

"I'm good. How are you?"

"Better than I'm here with you. Are you ready for our outing?"

"Yeah. I just have to clean a few things."

"Anything I can help with?"

There always is.

She throws me a Clorox wipe and tells me to start scrubbing.

As I watch her work, I think about how much my life has changed and how much I have changed even though she hasn't been in my life long. I have found something within myself when I am with her. It's like my whole world changed when she walked into my life. 

You imagine yourself as one person, an unchangeable person who has faced enough to know who they are in life. But then, someone like Hazel arrives. Then you have to look deep within the person you are to only discover that they make you better. 

It's like the person I thought I was, the person that had to once rise out of ashes, finally had a reason to thrive.

I'm not just surviving for myself anymore. I have a partner. I have a person to take care of. Someone who wants to spend their time with me. 

I find that it's been easier to be more vulnerable with my past when Hazel wants me to be because I know that even though there's hardship in letting her in to reveal the mistakes I've made, she's truly there to listen. Not to judge. 

I guess that's part of the reason I don't mind spending my spare moments with her. I don't have to be anything but myself. That's something I've never felt with a woman before.

"What are you looking at me for?"

"You're fucking gorgeous, that's all."

"Get back to work, dipshit."

I shake my head, glancing around the classroom to see that it's clean enough. We can handle the rest another day. It's time for our date. I walk across the classroom, taking the wipe from her hand and throwing it away.

"The hell!"

"Come on, pumpkin. Time to go."

"Go where?"

"We have a date to get to."

"We're in a rush?"

"Not really. I'm just done."

"You're ridiculous."

"Maybe."

She leans up to me, laying an achingly slow kiss on my lips. Holy fuck. I cannot believe she's mine. Well, actually, I haven't asked her to be mine yet.

"I'm your boyfriend, right?"

"Are you?"

"I know I haven't asked but I just wanna be clear."