Chapter 14: Octavius West

I never knew that going to the grocery store could be so much fun. Hazel is practically a little kid. She rides on the back of the grocery cart, making me nervous as hell, and doubles back through aisles like no one I've ever seen before. Grocery shopping with her is a journey, Lord of the Rings type of journey. 

I'm surprised no Orcs were hidden in the ice cream aisle blocking her from getting the goods. I swear I'm just quoting her. How the fuck does she have this much energy? It's like dealing with a golden retriever but an aggressive golden retriever who doesn't put up with anyone's bullshit, including Spiderman on the Marvel-themed advent calendar. 

She claims that Peter Parker was "looking at her weird." I honestly don't even know.

"What do you think about gelato?"

She just bought like three pints of ice cream and now she's thinking about gelato.

"Like gelato in general or based on my favorite kind?"

"You don't have to make this a difficult question, Tank."

"But it's important I know the answer. Because my answers will be different depending on what you want from me."

"Okay, fine," she concedes, "gelato in general."

"It's alright. Not usually my go-to dessert, but I'm happy to eat it."

"And based on your favorite?" Hazel continues.

"It's alright. Not usually my go-to dessert, but I'm happy to eat it."

"You are such an asshole."

I smirk as she walks away from me, kind of enjoying annoying her.

I half jog to match her footsteps as she storms across the parking lot to the motorcycle.

"Let me help you."

"No."

"At least unload them in your apartment."

"I got it."

"Please don't be that pissed at me. I was just joking."

She turns to me, a grin on her lips and a teasing glint in her gorgeous brown eyes.

"Gotcha."

"Now who's the asshole?"

"Still you."

I roll my eyes at her, taking the two grocery bags from her hands and putting them into the basket sitting on the back of my motorcycle. I'm glad I decided to wait until tomorrow to take it off. Now I have an excuse to spend more time with Hazel. 

She watches me intensely as I put her helmet on for her, her eyes never leaving mine. I enjoy putting on her helmet. I get to be close to her and show that I care for her. I know she wants to know how to do it on her own, and I will teach her, but I never want her to have to do it when she's riding with me. 

Since I'll be the only person she rides with, she'll never have to. Unless they're saving her life, I will fucking kill any other person who has her on the back of their bike. Shit, I can't even fucking think about it.

"I should get you home."

Even though I don't want this day to end. It's been perfect.

"Please do, I'm exhausted."

Honestly, I'm exhausted too. It's been a long time since I've been talking with someone for six hours straight. Though I don't want it to end, and I had a ridiculously fun time, my social battery is completely drained. I just need some time to myself.