Chapter 27

Hospital

3 hours earlier

"Dead?" Derya asks, her eyes widening in shock. "What do you mean dead?"

She pins the doctor with a sharp glance, as if he had something to do with the death of Yekta Tilmen. Her eyes can't help but wander back to the bed, the man in question in fact quite deceased.

"Are you sure?"

She turns to the police chief, who had accompanied her to the hospital instead of sending someone like Eren to handle the call, and sends an even sharper glance in his direction at his stupid question. Even the worst doctor is usually sure when they pronounce someone dead. But her irritation quickly turns to wonder. The man is pale. He's clearly shaken. She doubts this is the first dead body the police chief has seen. But the look on his face says something is going on. And for the first time she begins to wonder what the man is into. His behavior has been unusual now that she thinks about it.

"It appears to have been a heart attack," the doctor explains. "But we're doing further tests. His lawyer alerted us when he came in and noticed his client nonresponsive. The monitors didn't go off, so we're not sure how long he was in this condition."

Right away that makes her suspect foul play. Her first thought is to not trust anyone. Not the doctor. Not the lawyer. And unfortunately not the police chief. He's giving her a bad feeling. Her second thought was that she just might have been wrong about Ilgaz Kaya. She made a critical mistake that has probably gotten a man killed. She just hopes it's not too late to make things right.

~ * ~ * ~

"It was a terrible death."

Derya closes her eyes and a shudder runs through her.

"The doctor said he would have been in a lot of pain, struggling for every breath, but completely paralyzed and unable to vocalize the pain. His body shut down one part at a time, one system at a time. Yet he remained completely aware that his body was dying piece by piece. His heart stopped at least three times, and everytime the doctors brought him back, the cycle of pain would start all over. He was crying by the time it was all over."

"That clearly wasn't a natural death," Ceylin points out. "What happened? Did someone do this to him?"

Derya just nods before explaining.

"We interviewed just about all the staff on the floor as well as Yekta's lawyer. No one really saw anything. So then we reviewed all the security footage from the time Yekta was admitted up to the time the lawyer discovered him dead. We found one suspicious nurse. None of the employees recognized her."

"Let me guess. It's because she's not really a nurse," Eren chimes in.

"She's a hired gun," Derya confirms. "For Hasan Aksoy."

"So Hasan Aksoy found out somehow that Yekta had testified against him and sent someone to kill him?" Ilgaz guesses. "And while you were playing Yekta's games, and ruining my life, you dropped the ball on Aksoy and Yekta died."

"That's not on me," Derya snaps. "The chief was involved. We had no idea. He was on the payroll for both Yekta and Aksoy. That's where all the information leaks came from. And don't sit there and pretend you wouldn't have done the same thing, Ilgaz Savcı. I did my job. Just the same as you."

"Are we free to go?" Ceylin interrupts, not liking the direction this is headed. "You said we could leave."

Derya just steps out of the way. Ceylin grabs Ilgaz and pulls him out of the office. Out of the building. She doesn't stop until they reach the car.