Chapter 17

"I told her not to touch it!" a girl, Leanne says. In front of them, Katie Bell rises into the air, arms outstretched. When she is about six feet above the ground, she lets out a terrible scream. Leanne grabs Katie's ankle and tries to tug her back to the ground. The trio rushes to help while Ursa stays back, trying not to feel guilty. As Katie falls back to the ground, Harry and Ron catch her and lower her to the ground. Ursa moves closer and she hears a voice whisper.

     "Take it. Kill him yourself." The voice says. "Kill those who oppose you."

     "Did you hear that?" Ursa asks.

     "Hear what?" Leanne asks.

     "Never mind." Hagrid comes up the path.

     "Don't get any closer." Hagrid says to Ursa. "Get back, all of you." Hagrid walks over and picks up Katie as everyone else steps back. Harry walks over to the package and goes to pick it up. "Don't touch that! Except for the wrapping. Do you understand?"

***

     "You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" McGonagall asks Leanne as the trio and Ursa walks towards her.

     "It's like I said." Leanne says. "She left to go to the loo. And when she came back, she had the package. Said it was important that she deliver it."

     "Did she say to whom?"

     "To Professor Dumbledore."

     "Very well. Thank you, Leanne. You may go." Leanne leaves and McGonagall turns to the trio and Ursa. "Why is it when something happens it is always you three and recently Miss Malfoy?"

     "Believe me Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years." Ron says. Snape walks by the classroom.

     "Oh Severus!" Snape walks into the classroom and lifts the necklace with magic. "What do you think?"

     "I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive." Snape replies.

     "Very lucky." Ursa says as she stares at the necklace with interest. "I can feel the darkness from here."

     "Use it. Kill him." The voice in Ursa's head returns.

     "Overwhelmingly dark." Ursa takes a step forward, seemingly hypnotized by the necklace. "A death curse."

     "Miss Malfoy." Snape says and Ursa snaps out of it.

     "Huh?" Ursa realizes what happened. "Oh." She steps back.

     "She was cursed, wasn't she?" Harry asks. "I know Katie. Off the Quidditch pitch she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering it to Professor Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly."

     "Yes, she was cursed." McGonagall replies.

     "It was Malfoy." Harry says and everyone looks at Ursa while Ursa glares at Harry.

     "Was it?" Snape asks through the connection.

     "Draco not Ursa." Harry corrects.

     "Yes." Ursa replies.

     "That's a very serious accusation Potter." McGonagall says.

     "Indeed." Snape says aloud. "Your evidence?"

     "I just know." Harry replies.

     "You 'just' know. Once again, you're astonished with your gifts, Potter. Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be the Chosen One." Ursa stifles a laugh.