Chapter 18

"Headmaster." Ursa says as she walks into Dumbledore's office.

     "Ursa." Dumbledore says in greeting. "Have fun."

     "Ready Baby Bird?" Fawkes asks.

     "Stop calling me that." Ursa says with an eye roll. Ursa is engulfed in green flames and transforms into her phoenix form. She takes off after Fawkes out the window. After some flying practice, they go back to Dumbledore's office. Ursa gets ready to transform back on landing before she notices Professor Slughorn in the office. She lands on Fawkes' perch next to Fawkes.

     "I thought you only had one phoenix companion Albus." Slughorn says.

     "I do." Dumbledore replies.

     "Then why are there two there? And why is one green?"

     "Ah that." Dumbledore looks up at Ursa and Fawkes. Ursa looks between the two nervously before nodding at Dumbledore. "You know Fawkes already." Fawkes flaps his wings. "The other one is Ursa."

     "Like Ursa Malfoy?" Slughorn questions. "Funny that they are both named that."

    "No, you misunderstand." Dumbledore replies. "That is Ursa Malfoy."

     "What?" Ursa jumps off the perch and lands on the floor. Green flames engulf her, and she transforms back into a human. "Miss Malfoy? You're an animagus?"

     "Not exactly sir." Ursa replies. "I am a Jade Phoenix. I was born with this power. It's the reason I am such a powerful witch."

***

     "Ah Ursa Malfoy." Slughorn says as Ursa walks into his party. "Glad to see you."

     "Thank you for inviting me, sir." Ursa says in reply. "I hope to have some fun tonight."

     Ursa mingles and chats with people until she's talking with Harry. Slughorn comes over and joins the conversation. Slughorn grabs Snape's cloak and pulls Snape towards him. "Stop sulking and come and join us Severus." Ursa holds back her laugh but cannot disguise her amused smile, causing Snape to glare at her. "I was just talking about Harry and Ursa's exceptional potion-making! Some credit must go to you, of course, you taught them."

     "Funny, I never had the impression that I managed to teach Potter anything at all." Snape says. "As for Ursa, she has always been a natural potion maker."

     "Yes Professor Slughorn has heard the story of what got me interested in potions." Ursa says.

     "Your explosion?" Snape questions.

     "That caused the crack in the potions room wall. Yes." Ursa glances around and sees Hermione hiding behind a curtain. "If you'll excuse us."

     "Yes of course." Slughorn releases Snape and walks away. Snape gives Harry a glare before walking away too.

     "Why did you-" Harry starts before Ursa gestures to the curtain. They walk over and investigate.

     "Hermione?" Ursa questions.

     "What are you doing?" Harry asks. "What happened to you?"

     "I've just escaped- I mean left Cormac under the mistletoe." Hermione replies.

     "McLaggen? That's who you invited? The boy who called me a Death Eater."

     "I mean you are." Harry mumbles and Ursa rolls her eyes.

     "I thought it would annoy Ron the most." Hermione says. "He's got more tentacles than a Snarfalump plant." A waiter opens the curtain.

     "Dragon Tatare?" The waiter asks.