pt. 21

el's pov:

i opened my eyes to the sound of 2 people fighting again. i sat up and looked beside me, and max was gone. "max?" i asked in a sleepy voice as i rubbed my eyes. "oh hey good morning.." max said. i looked over and saw max and mike standing there with angry expressions. "what's going on? why are you guys fighting again?" i asked them in a confused tone. "mike is still mad about the stupid tv remote." max told me. "stupid!? that thing costed 50 dollars!" mike told us. "guys stopp! it's too early to be screaming at eachotherr." dustin said as he covered his face with his pillow. "you seriously need therapy." mike told max in a rude tone. "AGAIN WITH THIS STUPID CONVERSATION!" max yelled before i stood up off the air matress and grabbed her hand. "max, it's okay.." i softly told her as i caressed her hand with my thumb. she nodded silently and gave mike one more death glare before walking away, and going into the bathroom.

"seriously mike, what is your problem!?" i asked him in an annoyed tone. "she smashed the tv remote! that's my problem!" he told me. "no, i mean what is your problem with max? ever since she became our friend you have been a total jerk to her! a jerk to everyone!" i told him. "i- i don't have a problem with her!" mike defended himself. "yes you do! i'm not gonna put up with that, yes you are one of my best friends but she's my girlfr-" i paused and stopped myself from what i was about to say. "uh- she's my girl best friend.. so you will have to deal with her." i told him. "she stole you from me!" mike said.

"so this is about jealously? mike YOU broke up with ME! and we broke up before i even became friends with max!" i told him angrily. "i didn't break up with you! YOU broke up with ME!" mike yelled. "you did it mike! i just made it official." i told him. "seriously guys it's early, can you stop fighting?" lucas asked in a groggily tone. "fine.." i said as max walked out of the bathroom. i pushed past mike, and grabbed my clothes, and then went to the bathroom to change out of my pyjamas.

~

"what are we gonna do today?" will asked as we walked back into the basement after breakfast. "well we can't watch tv." mike said in an annoyed tone as he glared at max. "don't you dare start this conversation again." max told him in a annoyed tone. "guys stop! all you have been doing is fighting the whole time! your making it miserable for everyone." dustin told us. "that's not my fault!? he's-" max said before will cut her off. "why don't we go swimming?" will suggested. "that sounds fun, and not like it will make you guys fight more." lucas said. "whatever." mike said. "no, i'm going home." max said as she walked over to where all our stuff was. i followed her and grabbed her hand. "max please don't leave, joyce is not picking me up untill 2 and i don't wanna be alone.." i told her trying my best to convince her to stay.

she sighed but then nodded. "fine, but only for you." max said with a slight smile. "okay, and after dinner today you still wanna come to my house for a sleepover?" i asked her. max's smile got bigger and she nodded. "okay- im gonna go grab my bathing suit. i'll be right back." i told max as i walked over to my bag.

~

"should we go to the lake or swimming pool?" will asked as we walked out of mikes house. "why don't we go to the pool?" dustin asked. "sure!" i said in an excited tone. "i guess so.." max muttered. i glanced over at her starting to feel slightly worried. she was okay and happy a few minutes ago, what changed?

~

as all 6 of us walked up to the pool, i looked over at max and she looked even sadder. "are you okay?" i asked her. she looked at me, and then smiled and nodded. i sighed, i should of believed her, but i just didn't. "im gonna go change into my bathing suit." dustin said as he walked into the boys changing room. "same." lucas said as he followed him. "we better go get changed too." mike told will. will nodded and they also both walked into the boys changing room. i looked over at max and then spoke. "do you also wanna go get changed?" i asked her. "yeah sure." she said as she opened up the girls changing room door, and held it open for me. "thanks!" i said as i walked inside.

i set my bag down on one of the benches, and pulled out my bathing suit and a towel. i also pulled out max's bathing suit, which i agreed to put in the bag i was bringing. my eyes darted around the changing room, and i realized it was just one big area with no separate dividers for privacy. "uhm- should we just turn around?" i asked max. "uh sure." she said as she turned around. i also turned around, and quickly changed into my bathing suit as she did the same.

~

"okay.. 3... 2....1!" both me and max yelled as we jumped into the pool at the same time causing water to splash everywhere. "CANNONBALL!" dustin yelled as he jumped in after us. me and max both looked at each other at the same time, and for no reason we both just burst out laughing. "what are you guys even laughing about? nothings funny." mike said in a bored tone as he sat on the edge of the pool. me and max didn't answer, but instead both kept laughing. eventually max looked away, and she stopped laughing, and her smile faded as she looked at the life guard seat. there was a girl sitting sitting there with a bored expression on her face. "what is it?" i asked max. "n-nothing i'm just tired.." she told me. i immediately frowned and asked again. "max.. you can tell me, please." i pleaded.

i looked over at all 4 boys, and they were busy talking about something else, and not listening to our conversation. i looked back at max and then spoke. "max I'm your girlfriend remember? you can tell me." i reminded her while slightly smiling. "yeah you're right..," max said quietly. she took a deep breath and then spoke. "this is where my brother use to work," she told me. "as a lifeguard." she continued. "billy?" i asked her in a slightly confused tone. she nodded.
"i mean yeah i hated him, and he was a shitty brother, and always used to beat the shit out of me..," max admitted. "but deep down i still loved him.. y'know?" she told me. "i'm so sorry.." i told her feeling bad i made her talk about her brother. "it's okay." max said with a soft smile.

i smiled back, and then looked over. "hey there's ice cream here!" i pointed out. max looked over to the place i was pointing to, and then spoke. "oo we should go get ice cream!" max suggested. "you literally red my mind." i told her while slightly giggling. "well.. i am your girlfriend." max said quietly with a smirk. as she said that, i could feel my face warm up and my stomach got filled with millions of butterflies. "i love you saying that." i told her. "saying what?" she asked. "that i'm your girlfriend." i told her quietly so the boys couldn't hear. a smile spread across her face, and then she spoke. "c'mon, let's go get ice cream." she said as she swam over to the ladder to get out of the pool.