pt. 31

max's pov:

i nervously glance back at joyce as el started to speak. "what is it? we're not in trouble are we?" el asked her with a nervous expression. "no, no of course not.. i just-" joyce sighed. "you both know you can trust and talk to me about ANYTHING, right?" she asked us. i nodded as el spoke. "mhm, thanks we know." el slightly smiled. joyce stared at both of us, looking like she was waiting for us to speak. "so.. is there anything you would like to tell me?" she asked us. i quickly shook my head, as el did the same. she sighed again as both me and el stood up. "we're gonna go pay for these." el told joyce as she also stood up. "you guys are 100% sure there's nothing to tell me?" she asked again for the millionth time that day. we both stayed silent as we started to walk towards the front counter, but i stood dead in my tracks when i heard joyce's voice. i turned around quickly as both me and el stared at her with wide eyes and shocked expressions.

"i know you two are together." joyce blurted out.

"w-what?" el asked in a trembling voice. joyce sighed and sat down. "i know about you two.." she repeated. "what? how!?" el asked her with a shocked expression on her face. "sit down.." joyce told us. both me and el sat back down, and i awkwardly stared at the ground avoiding eye contact as she started to speak. "ever since el came home from camp she was- well.. you kept on wearing max's hoodie, and once you told me about max and i saw how close you two were- i just kinda knew.." she admitted. "plus the lipstick.." she added. el looked down with an embarrassed expression on her face, as she began to speak. "are you mad?" el asked her. joyce's expression softened as she looked slightly panicked. "no no, of course not! el i love you no matter what, and max you seem like an amazing young lady." she told me with a soft smile on her face.

i slightly smiled as i kept my eyes glued to the ground. "thanks mom, you are the best." el said as she stood up and hugged joyce. "of course el. and if you're not ready to tell you dad yet i completely understand." joyce told her. el's smile got bigger as she pulled away from the hug. "thanks." she softly said. "so should we go pay for your girls dresses?" joyce asked us. el nodded as she grabbed my hand, causing me to stand up. joyce walked ahead of us, as me and el stayed behind slightly. "max- you're okay with this right?" she asked me. "yeah, i'm fine with it. she's gonna be your stepmom soon, she should know about us." i softly smiled. "i know, you just seem- really upset and uncomfortable. are you sure everything is alright?" she asked me again. "yeah, don't worry about me. are YOU alright with this?" i asked her. "yeah," she smiled. "it actually feels nice to tell someone about us." she continued. i smiled at seeing my girlfriend so happy.
"good- now let's not leave joyce waiting any longer."
i told her as i grabbed her hand and lead her to the front counter where joyce was waiting for us.

~

"would there be any here?" el asked as she pointed to a sports shop. my eyes shot around the display stands of the stores untill i finally spotted what i was looking for. "i see one!" i shouted as i ran inside the store with el running in after me. i ran straight towards the skateboards and looked at all of them. "wow- there are so many to choose from." i explained as el stood beside me also looking at the skateboards. i picked up a few skateboards and tried to stand on a few, untill i finally picked up one that was a bright shade of red like my hair. i stepped onto it, and slightly pushed off, making sure to not go too fast in the store as i didn't want to get kicked out.

"so do you like that?" el asked me. i got off the skateboard and looked at the bottom. "madmax.." i red outloud. "wow, it really is meant to be yours. it has your name and everything." she smiled. "i would love to get this," i told her. "but i don't have any money.." i explained with a sad look on my face. "hey that's okay, i'm sure joyce won't mind buying you it." el reassured me. "are you sure? i really don't want her to spend all her money on m-"
"max," el cut me off by saying. "don't worry about it. you over think to much, love." she calmly told me. i softly smiled as joyce approached us. "do you like that skateboard?" she asked me gesturing towards the skateboard i was holding. "yeah," i smiled. "it even has my name and everything." i explained as i flipped it around and showed her the words 'madmax' on the bottom.

"well i guess it really is meant for you." joyce smiled. "so can she get it? pleasee!" el pleaded. "yeah, i don't see why not." joyce agreed. a smile spread across both me and el's faces as we looked at eachother feeling excited. "thank you thank you!" el practically yelled as she hugged joyce. "aww, anytime sweetie." joyce smiled as she hugged el back. el pulled away from the hug, and grabbed my hand while practically dragging me towards the counter. "now i promise i won't break this one, okay?" el told me as i placed the skateboard in front of the cashier. "el- you don't have to apologize still. i don't care that you broke it, im just glad your safe." i smiled. el's face turned red as she looked at the ground. "that will be 19.99$." the cashier told us. "okay- here you go." joyce said as she handed him a 20$ bill. "thank you, have a nice day." he said as he handed me the skateboard.

~

"max, when we get home can we pleaseee watch a christmas movie?" el asked me as joyce pulled into el's driveway. "el- it's july. you know that right?" i asked her while starting to giggle. "i know, i know- but i just really wanna watch a christmas movie." el told me as she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car. "fine- but only because i love yo-
"why are there so many bikes in the front yard?" el asked me cutting me off from my sentence. i glanced around the front yard and noticed 4 bikes laying in the middle of the grass. they all looked awfully familiar, i just couldn't put my finger on it. "i don't know- but it's fine." i told her as we approached the front door. "now come on, let's go watch your christmas movie." i told her as she started to giggle. we ran inside and took our shoes off in a hurry, and then ran upstairs hand in hand.

we approached el's door, but from what i could hear there were people inside wills bedroom, and from the sound of it they were arguing. "el wait-" i told her as i grabbed her hand and pointed towards wills door. "what is it?" el asked as she took her hand off her door handle and approached will's door with me. we both leaned up against the door, listening carefully trying to figure out what they were saying. "guys! stop it! im telling you now!" will shouted. "dude shut up! she's going to love it!" lucas shouted back. "this is such a dumb idea, there's no way she's gonna say yes." mike added. "guys stop! seriously! you have no idea what your doing!" will continued to shout. "it's fine! just let lucas do his thing." dustin told will.

i glanced over at el with a confused face as i started to reach towards the door handle. i quickly opened it and there me and el saw, will with an angry expression, mike with an annoyed expression, and dustin and lucas trying to hang up a banner on the wall.
"shit-" will mumbled causing me to be surprised as i've never heard will cuss before. lucas spun around, causing the banner to fall down on top of dustin. "MAX! oh- uhm.. hey.." lucas stumbled over his words. i looked around at everyone confused, and will still scared and angry expression. "what's going on?" el asked them. lucas suddenly started to walk backwards, and then he tripped over his own foot. "NOTHING- it's just uhm-" he said quickly standing back up and grabbing the banner off dustin.

"here- i- we.. made this for you." lucas said handing me the banner. i looked at him with a confused expression and slowly reached towards the banner and grabbed it. i opened it up and could only read a tiny bit before el yanked it out of my hands. her face went red as she read what was on the banner, and lucas's face went red out of embarrassment, and will looked really annoyed and concerned. "what does it sa-" i asked el before she cut me off. el threw the banner onto the ground and stared at lucas with a very angry expression. "screw you lucas!" el shouted as her eyes filled with tears. "wha-?" lucas asked before more tears started to stream down el's face. she looked around the room at lucas, mike, dustin, and will and then started to scream.

"I HATE ALL OF YOU. SCREW YOU ALL. ESPECIALLY YOU WILL." el screamed at the tears started to uncontrollably stream down her cheeks. before i could say anything el ran out of wills room, running into her room. i tried to follow after her, but she slammed the door in my face and locked it.