𝙩𝙬𝙤. 𝙞𝙡𝙪

"We will teach you how to communicate while being underwater later." Ny'reiya nodded. "We will now introduce you to Ilu."

"Reí, you can teach Neteyam since you two are the eldest. We will teach the rest." Tsireya smiled. Ny'reiya didn't bother putting up a fight to get out of this, she knew Tsireya would throw a fit later.

Without saying anything to her sister, she called out for her Ilu and situated herself on top of Iri. She grabbed Neteyam's hand. "Come." Leading him to get on her Ilu behind her.

He adjusted himself behind her, unknowingly grabbing her waist so he wouldn't fall off. Iri dove into the water suddenly, causing Neteyam to tighten his grip on Ny'reiya. With one hand, she held on to Neteyam's thigh as Iri took them to the shallow waters.

"Ilu are like Ikran, the only difference is that they are for water tribes." Ny'reiya explained. "They are very gentle and beautiful creatures."

"So, they won't try to kill me?" Neteyam scratched the back of his neck. "Ikran try to kill us if they choose us."

Ny'reiya shook her head, tracing patterns on her Ilu. "They are harmless." She stood up, walking slowly while making calling sounds.

"You may bond with this Ilu." Reí crouched in front of another one, stroking it's head. "Come and mount her."

Neteyam walked towards her and the Ilu, swinging one leg over and adjusting himself on the creature. "You must hold on tight, or you will fall off." Reí adjusted his hands. She reminded herself to focus on what she was doing instead of Neteyam, she couldn't bare being in the awkward position where they just stare at each other.

He unknowingly rested a finger on top of her's which caused her to look up at him, meeting his gaze. She quickly retracted her hand and scolded him. "I said to hold on tightly, do you not listen to directions?"

"Sorry." Neteyam finally spoke. Ny'reiya rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue. "Do not apologize, I hate when people do that."

He pursed his lips and nodded, adjusting his grip on the Ilu. "Got it."

"Now you must make the bond." Reí motioned to his queue and held one up from the Ilu. "You must be gentle." 

Neteyam connected the queue with the Ilu as instructed. "You must feel her heart beat, her strength." Ny'reiya whispered as he connected his queue to the Ilu. "When you are ready, think to go forward."

She backed away from the boy and Ilu, waiting until he finally shot forward and fell off. Reí couldn't help but laugh, quickly covering her mouth with her hand and jogging towards Neteyam who was laying face down in the water.

From a distance, Reí could see his siblings struggling to balance themselves on their Ilu. Tsireya was giggling at their struggle as well as her brother and best friend.

She focused back to the boy as he picked himself back up, sweeping a few braids out of his face. His Ilu swam towards Reí, staying by her side.

She quickly wiped the smile off her face as he looked up at her. "You are like a baby." She scolded. "Again." She gestured towards the Ilu.

Neteyam nodded, only frowning as he got on the Ilu once more. She grabbed his hand, keeping a firm grip on it. "You must hold on tight as I said before, go with the way of water. Take your time, do not feel ashamed if you don't get it right the first time."

"Okay." Neteyam mumbled. His heart rate increased as he felt her touch. "Try to stay calm and regulate your heart beat, your Ilu can feel it and will become uneasy." She looked towards him once more. "Do you understand?"

"Yes." He nodded. Reí backed away once more, keeping her distance as he adjusted himself, tightening his grip on the Ilu. "Go when you are ready." She said softly.

He stood silent for a couple seconds before his Ilu took off. Like before, he fell off and swam back up to the surface and back to Reí. "You lasted far longer this time." She nodded. This time, instead of laughing, she kept her composure.

After all, she was once in his position when riding an Ilu for the first time.

"I will be by your side this time, go again." She swung her leg over Iri and adjusted herself, Neteyam did the same with his Ilu.

"You must take your time, Neteyam." His heart skipped a beat as he heard the sound of his name coming from her. "Have patience, do not become easily frustrated."

Iri swam forward slowly, keeping Reí's body above water. "It is not hard if you properly tell your Ilu what to do."

Neteyam exhaled slowly, closing his eyes before reopening them again. His Ilu swam forward slowly.

He had succeeded.

"I did it!" He exclaimed, a huge smile spread across his lips. Meeting Ny'reiya's gaze.

"You did it." Reí smiled softly, before quickly looking away. She tightened her grip on her Ilu. "Let us see if you can catch up to me."

Neteyam smirked as she dove into the water. "Alright girl, let's see if we can do this." His Ilu dove underwater and trailed behind Reí and Iri.

Reí turned around, grinning at Neteyam which made his heart jump. It was the first time Ny'reiya had genuinely smiled at him specifically.