𝙛𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣. 𝙩𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩

The following day, Ny'reiya met up with Lo'ak, as he had promised her that he would take her to go meet Payakan. If she was honest, Ny'reiya was nervous about the things she would find out. Considering that she would be able to understand every word Payakan would be saying to Lo'ak and her. 

Ny'reiya followed Lo'ak outside the reef, where Payakan was already waiting for him. 

"Ny'reiya, I want you to meet Payakan." He neared him and his Ilu to the Tulkun. 

Ny'reiya signed a hello to the Tulkun. "A Metkayina." The Tulkun said. 

"I know about the stories, Payakan. Whether it is true or not, I want to get to know you, with open arms." Ny'reiya signed. "If that is okay with you." 

She looked over at Lo'ak, who was sitting down on his fin. "Very well then." Payakan agreed. 

"The rest of my kind have came back, haven't they?" He asked. 

Ny'reiya pursed her lips and nodded slowly. "Yes, they have returned from their migration cycle." She signed. "If you don't mind me asking, what truly happened."

"It hurts to remember." Payakan said. "It still haunts me everyday." 

She frowned. "There are many stories about you Payakan. Though, I believe you and Lo'ak. He is your soul brother, he'd never lie." 

From her peripheral vision, she could see Lo'ak's lips form a smile as he patted Payakan. "Our great mother Eywa, has granted you mercy. I may not be the chief of my village, but you are always welcome to come near our village. So Lo'ak won't have to make the journey of traveling through the rough waters outside the reef." 

"Thank you." Payakan said. Ny'reiya nodded her head with a smile forming on her lips. Lo'ak turned to her, confused by what she had just said. "Your father will be mad at you, Ny'reiya. I don't want you to get in trouble." 

She turned to Lo'ak and shrugged. "Don't worry about me, I'll handle it."

-

"I see the bond that you have created with Neteyam." Tsireya walked in the Marui pod, eager to speak with her sister. Ny'reiya simply looked up from the tray of ritual pieces that her mother had gifted her and scrunched her brows. 

"Do not give me that look sister, you can't fool me." She smiled. "I know about you and Neteyam." 

"Mother wouldn't ever approve of us though." Ny'reiya frowned. Tsireya sat beside her, placing a hand on her back to comfort her. "She see's them as freaks, unworthy of being one of the Metkayina people."

"To be fair, sister. Your life was already planned out when you reached maturity." Tsireya shrugged. 

"I did not wish to mate with that warrior." Ny'reiya scoffed. "I didn't even know him personally and they expected me to mate with him once he asked me. Father was ashamed of me for turning him down and so was mother." 

"I did not expect my life to be set so soon, I at least wanted to meet people and maybe explore the rest of the planet since I've only known these islands my whole life." She added. 

Tsireya frowned, intertwining her hands with her sisters. "Sister, I see you. I will never see you as a traitor to our people, you are free to love who you want and you may choose your mate freely." 

Ny'reiya looked up at her sister and smiled slightly. "If I choose to mate with Neteyam, I do not think I will be able to be the next chief of the Metkayina people. I will probably have to go to his home land, in the forest. Where he will become the next Olo'eyktan." 

"Sister, who will lead the Metkayina then?" Tsireya tightened her grip, becoming anxious. "You have to be the next chief! You've been working so hard ever since we were old enough to hunt for our people! You can't possibly leave us!" 

"You can't leave me..." 

"Ao'nung will be the next Metkayina chief, he will be a great one if I do leave with Neteyam and his family. Father had already been training us." Ny'reiya pursed her lips and leaned her forehead against Tsireya's. 

A tear trailed down her little sister's cheek, she sniffled as she tried to find the correct words to say to comfort her. 

"I see you, Tsireya." She wiped her tears. 

"Trust me, I will never leave my little sister." 

I apologize that this chapter was boring, I do plan on uploading more later today if I do get the chance. I hope everyone's weekend was wonderful and safe. <3