Chapter 3

Two months later, I still didn't have a job. I was nearly broke and getting discouraged with life. I was back to depending on Liz for almost everything. Part of me hated relying on other people to survive, but what choice did I have?

I woke to a door slamming and Liz sitting down on the bed.

"Whats going on?"

"Brian and Marissa are fighting. Marissa is getting pissed that Brian never helps with things around the house. Brian only pays $50 to them for rent. And he was up there saying that you don't pay at all, so he's helping more than you." Liz said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. Right now, I am so angry. He's such an asshole. There is no reason for him to be targeting you like he is. I know you were paying $250 a month to them, plus helping around the house with chores." She said.

"I think I might need to leave. Being here, it seems like I am causing problems and starting fights between people.Thats the last thing I want to do." I said, climbing out of bed.

I began grabbing my stuff and throwing it into my duffel bag. Liz shot up off the bed and grabbed me.

"What are you doing?"

"I told you, I need to leave." I forced out.

"No Aimee, please don't. please stay here. It's eight below outside and it's only going to get colder. I mean, in a few weeks, it's going to be brutally cold out there. You know January is the coldest month. I can't sleep in here knowing you are out there somewhere freezing."

"I'll be fine. I survived last winter just fine."

"Aimee please! Just stay with me. Please. Do I have to beg?"

"Why do you want me to stay so badly?"

Liz searched my eyes for a few minutes. She swallowed hard before speaking. "Because I want you here with me. I need to know you are safe and taken care of."

"Why though? You even said yourself, I am just a friend of yours."

Liz released her hold on me and moved back to the bed. "You're not just a fucking friend! I want you to be more!" She screamed. "I haven't been with anyone since you moved in with me, because I want you."

I froze at her words. I had suspected that's how she felt, but to hear her say that was a different story. The words hit me like a thousand knives. I didn't know what to do or say, so I stood there staring at my bag. Liz suddenly jumped to her feet and moved towards me. I stepped back until I was against the wall. Liz was inches from my face. She leaned in and her lips met mine. It paralyzed me as her lips moved against mine. It took me a moment to decide to kiss her back. She moaned out softly as I kissed her. She pulled away and locked eyes with me.

"I really like you, Aimee. I want to see where things go between us, and I don't do serious relationships worth shit, but I want to try with you."

I thought for a few minutes before speaking, still leaning against the wall. "Okay. I'll stay but I think I am going to sleep on the couch upstairs for a few nights. I need to sort out my own thoughts and feelings before I agree to anything."

Liz looked annoyed by my words, but it was a lot for me to take in. I did not know how I felt about any of this. I left my stuff sitting in my bag, then headed upstairs. Marissa and Scott were on the couch in the living room, but the loveseat was open. Brian was nowhere to be found. I tossed my pillow down and curled up on the loveseat.

Marissa turned to look at me." You okay?"

"Yeah, you said that I could take the couch if I ever needed to, right?"

"Um yeah, of course." Marissa turned and looked at Scott. "Can you give us a few minutes?"

Scott nodded, then disappeared upstairs.