Chapter Six

DEAN'S POV

I dialed my mom's phone putting it on speaker so I could concentrate on driving while still talking to her. She picked up on the third ring.

"Good morning mom, have you already left for work?"I asked her.

"Not yet, Dwayne woke up with a fever so I'm trying to ease it before I leave."She replied.

"I'm on my way, I'll be there soon so don't leave."I requested her.

"Okay can you bring some bread please and sugar."

"I will mom, I'm on my way."I assured her eyeing the two shopping bags perched on the passenger seat next to me.

My family had lived in Utawala, in the same apartment building ever since I was born, we had just upgraded from a one bedroom to a three bedroom the more kids my parents got. The houses were cheap there and so was the living cost so it was easy for my parents to make rent and feed us. It was not easy raising four kids while earning minimum age that's why half my earnings went out to help them. Now with the money River was paying me I could finally retire my mom and set up a good business that would make her more money with less hours.

When I arrived I parked the car outside the all too familiar apartment building, grabbed my shopping bags and exited the car locking it behind me. I took the stairs to the fifth floor since there wasn't an elevator. I was already used to it and welcomed the exercise.

I didn't bother knocking since it was my home and just let myself in. I found Leah and Jasmine sprawled out on the sofa watching a documentary. They were like an old married couple and not a couple of kids watching a program like that.

"D. K!!"They exclaimed excitedly as soon as they noticed me.

I set the bags down opening my arms out for a hug from my two favorite little ladies. The girls took after my mom in every way. They were short, with beautiful light skin, brown eyes, brown hair and rounded bodies. They hated being called chubby but that's why they were with their cute cheeks and plump builds.

"What are you doing here?"Leah asked me.

"I missed you too siz and incase you have forgotten, this is my parents house too."I retorted.

"Yeah but you're always busy with work and you only visit in the evenings when you can."Jasmine argued.

"You're right but it's been a while since I was home and I decided to pop in for a visit. I also know someone is going back to school tomorrow and I wanted to see her before she goes."I explained looking at Leah.

"You're talking as if I'm flying to another country. Dean, Campus is only thirty minutes away."Jasmine argued.

"Keep being a smartass with me and I won't give you the surprise I brought."I warned.

Her eyes immediately widened at my words and she clamped her hand around her mouth. I chuckled and patted their heads.

"Put this away will you and make some breakfast. I haven't had any yet and I know you haven't either."I requested them.

They noticed the shopping bags at my feet and smiled.

"It's good to have you home D.K."Jasmine whispered hugging me.

I hugged her back kissing the top of her head. Leah joined in the hug making me smile. As I held my sisters I realized that I would do anything to keep the smiles on there faces even if it meant working myself to death. But thanks to River I didn't have to do that anymore. I was working less hours and making more money and having fun at it while at it.