Chapter 19

HARRY STYLES

Per Lucy and Molly's request, or maybe I should say demand, I decided that I'd take Camden out for dinner tonight on a real date. It would be our first date as...well, not a couple, but...exclusive friends with benefits, I guess, and it would be my first official date ever.

That was embarrassing enough to admit to even myself, but then again it's not like I couldn't have taken anyone out on a date. I just didn't want to.

But there I was, parking my car in front of her flat to walk up to her door and knock rather than just calling her to let her know I was outside. With all the casualty in the world, she opened up for me in a simple small black dress with thin shoulder straps and a plunging neckline. She had high heels on, and her hair was loosely curled down her back instead of naturally straight like she usually had it.

"Come on in, I'm just trying to get a necklace untangled," she said, walking away from me to show me the low back of the dress from behind.

Jesus Christ.

I cleared my throat and closed the door, following her around the corner to her room. At the edge of her bed, I sat and watched her work at the gold chains with her nimble fingertips, and I wondered how upset she would be if I said I suddenly didn't think going out tonight would be such a great idea after all. She looked incredible.

"You look nice," I said.

"Oh," she turned to face me, still gently pulling at the knot as she glanced down at her dress. "It's not too much, right? I know you said dinner, so I just figured...might as well dress up for it."

I shook my head. "No, you look great."

"Stupid piece of–" She turned to slap both necklaces on the dresser. "Fuck it, I don't wanna wear a necklace anyway."

I laughed at her little outburst, something that happened quite often when she got even the slightest bit frustrated with something. "You ready, then?"

"Yes," she exhaled, inspecting me as I stood from her bed. I wore the same white button-down she had already seen me in a few times, but her little smirk told me she still liked it as much as she did the first time around. "You look great, too."

And then, I just couldn't help myself. "Are you sure you even wanna go? Because we can stay."

She laughed, seeing right through that little suggestion as she took my hand to pull me out of her room. "Come on, I didn't put this dress on and use a curling wand just to stay here."

Fair enough.

Like I always do, I opened the passenger door for her to climb in, making sure she was situated before closing it on her. She brought a leather jacket with her but had yet to put it on even as her skin was littered with goosebumps when she shivered.

"So where are we going again?"

"It's like a French restaurant that Lucy recommended," I pulled out onto the street, "she said it's great, and she's really into nice places like that, so...is that okay with you?"

She shrugged with a casual nod. "That sounds good, yeah."

I had no idea what the fuck was wrong with me, or why I felt like I needed to impress her so much when she knew basically everything about me at that point. The woman has seen me naked more times than anyone else, yet I couldn't think of what I was supposed to say or how I was supposed to act with her now.

The girlfriends that I trusted so much just psyched me out, I think. Lucy said that if I'm serious about her, I should put in a lot of effort to make sure she understands that I want to do more than have sex with her. And that was completely true, I absolutely did want to do more than just have sex with her, but was a French restaurant really the way to show her that? It felt like...not me.