Chapter 49

HARRY STYLES

All but dragging my feet, I wandered into my bedroom to find Camden in my ensuite, combing her fingers through her natural waves from how her hair dried in her sleep last night. She didn't even notice me standing there as she stared back at her reflection with a look of deep concentration on her face.

I quietly cleared my throat, watching her blink rapidly out of her thoughts before her eyes flashed to mine through the mirror. "Sorry, I was just wondering if you were ready to get going."

"Oh," she breathed, clenching her jaw as she swallowed and nodded her head. "Yeah, I just...I need to put my shoes on."

"Okay," I stepped back from the doorway as she flipped the light off. "I'll just be downstairs."

She didn't respond to me as she sat on the edge of the bed to push her feet into her sneakers, so I left her alone and held to the railing as I made my way down the steps.

I rubbed the back of my neck and took a deep breath as I aimlessly circled the kitchen island to wait for her. She was taking longer than she should have just to put her shoes on, but I wasn't about to rush her.

"Harry?" She called out, sounding panicked.

I whipped my head in the general direction of the stairs before I rounded the island once more to jog up and see what she needed. "What's wrong?"

"I can't–I can't find my ring, the ring you got me with the emerald stone," she was crying as she shook the pillows and duvet, which was so unlike her for something so trivial.

More calmly, I walked over to her nightstand and found it where she always places her rings before she does her nighttime skincare routine. "It's right here, Cam."

She turned to me with tear stained cheeks, her shoulders dropping in relief as I crossed the room to slide it on her right ring finger. "Thank you."

I tilted my head at her, weary to once again ask her if she was okay when she clearly wasn't. "We should probably go, if we don't wanna be late."

"Mhm," she nodded with her eyes on my chest. "Okay. I'm ready."

I cupped her face to press my lips to her forehead, feeling it crinkle as she pulled her brows together and placed her hands on my chest. "Love you."

She slipped her arms around my waist to hug me, pushing her fingertips into my shoulder blades. "Love you too."

We said nothing else about it as she followed me downstairs and out through the front door. I opened her door for her and walked around the hood to get in on my side, muffling the sound of the whistling wind. It was supposed to storm pretty badly tonight, which I found to be ironic. Or maybe appropriate was the better word.

The silence between Camden and myself had never been quite so loud before. I held her hand in mine as I drove us to the clinic, but I don't think either of us knew exactly what to say to each other. That was how it had been for the last two days while we waited for the appointment.

We had talked about the whole thing more than just the first time, seeing as I was practically delirious when I touched down in London, but we ended up coming to the same conclusion that neither of us were ready to be parents.

The odd thing was, if that was really the case, I didn't understand why we both seemed to be feeling so...off. I suppose it was just mentally draining, and certainly no small feat to come to a decision like the one that we did, but I just thought that if we were doing the right thing then we shouldn't be acting the way we were.