Chapter 61

HARRY STYLES

After only being back from Rome for four days, I was already packing up the car for us to head to my mum's for the weekend. Gemma and Michal were aware of the good news after we dropped by to tell them the day after we got home, but we collectively felt bad about making Anne take a train to London. Besides, we hadn't been back there since Christmas, and Camden said she wanted Darcy to see Cheshire even though she was still so young.

Once everything apart from Darcy's diaper bag was in the car, I wandered back up the stairs to see that Cam was just finishing up after feeding Darcy in the nursery. She adjusted her shirt as she stood with her in her arms, and handed her off to me so she could pack plenty of diapers, her baby blanket, and teddy bear in her bag.

"You ready?" I asked her.

"Yeah, is the car all packed?"

"Yup," I bounced Darcy in my arms as she pulled the ends of my hair tight in her little fist. "You know, maybe this is a sign that I should finally just cut my hair."

Camden laughed and unfurled Darcy's fist from the strands. "I can't even imagine you without long hair, to be honest."

"You've seen the pictures, haven't you?"

She grabbed the diaper bag off of Darcy's dresser and picked up her portable bassinet to take with us out of the room. "Yeah, but you were younger. Like, you still had the cute baby face."

I scoffed as she winked at me over her shoulder, but I really was considering just chopping it all off. Maybe, I thought, I could cut it before our wedding and surprise her, but if she hated it then that might put a damper on the whole day.

The funny thing about the wedding was that neither Camden nor myself were much for planning. She already said that she really didn't know where to even begin on putting an event like that together, and she confided in me to say that she was worried if she gave the job to Molly and Lucy to help her, it would be a huge extravagant and over-the-top reception. Apparently, she wasn't sure she wanted that.

To be completely honest, for myself, I'd be happy to just sign the papers we needed to sign and make it official already. If she wanted a massive party to celebrate it all, I'd give it to her without asking any questions. But if she wanted something casual and small, I wouldn't complain about that either.

On our way out, Camden grabbed a few snacks and a couple of bottles of water to take in the car with us. She settled Darcy in her car seat with her rattling toys and teddy bear, then hopped into the front seat, fanning her face with her hands as she mumbled a complaint about the humidity.

"So do you think I should hide the ring? Or should we just show her as soon as she opens the door for us?" She asked as she buckled up.

I already had to laugh just thinking about my mum's reaction either way. "Maybe you just keep the ring on and we wait to see how long it takes for her to notice."

"You don't think she'll notice right away?"

"To be honest, I think she's going to be more concerned with seeing Darcy than either of us."

"Mm," she smiled as she glanced over her shoulder to see our baby babbling to herself. "Guess I can't blame her for that."

At the start of the long drive ahead, Cam already pried open a bag of crisps and reclined her seat just a bit to get more comfortable. When she was going through my phone to pick the music, I asked her to shuffle The Rolling Stones. Naturally, she picked Queen instead and told me that she would not subject our daughter to such awful sounds.