chapter thirty-seven - waiting room

- CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN -

WAITING ROOM

ARLO HALE was pronounced dead on the scene.

Meanwhile, paramedics rushed to save Soren's life. She was loosing more blood every second that passed and it was concerning them more and more as the hospital was twenty minutes away from them so they were cutting it short in time.

Still, Derek stayed in the ambulance, gripping onto Soren's hand as she remained unconscious for a long period of time. The entire journey there he kept his eyes on the monitors, waiting for the moment where he thought her heart was going to stop beating. He felt like he was having Deja vu, remembering the moment a similar situation had happened to Emily but she survived.

He didn't know what he would do if he lost Soren, if he lost her then he didn't know how he could continue living. She had made the biggest imprint in his life and he didn't ever want her to die, he wanted to go back to how things were before, with them sitting on the couch cuddling as they watched a new film Soren had heard about.

When they had arrived at the hospital, with the rest of the team arriving just seconds later, Derek was instructed to wait in the living room just as Soren was rushed into surgery. Derek sat down, holding his head in his hands as Emily Prentiss sat beside him, Hotch on her other side with Rossi, JJ and Reid all sitting on the other side, JJ with her arm wrapped around Spencer's as she cried.

Time felt as though it was moving slower than it ever had before as Derek began to get more frustrated with the lack of updates that they had been receiving. He stood, walking over to the wall as he punched it, groaning as Emily stood up, "Derek..."

"No. Do not say a word." Derek warned her, seeing in his vision Penelope Garcia as his eyes softened for a moment.

Penelope was crying too, hearing what happened through JJ as she walked up them in her colorful clothing. "Oh, Derek." She whispered, reaching out to hug him as he walked around her, leaving the room to give himself some privacy.

Rossi noticed the interaction that had just happened and excused himself, following Derek as they walked into a room, closing the door behind them. Derek turned back around, rubbing his hand over his face. "I came in here for privacy, Rossi."

"I know that." Rossi nodded. "I'm guessing you've come in here to blame yourself, but it's not your fault."

"I should of been there, Rossi, instead I was busy here whilst Arlo attacked her. That's on me." Derek scoffed angrily, glaring at the man in front of him.

Rossi sighed, "Soren is the most stubborn, determined woman I have ever met. And when her family first came up on our radar we all knew there was something about her that stood out, and then I saw the look on her face when you walked in the room. It was like you were everything she had ever dreamed of, and it turns out...her intuition was right. I've never seen a love like that before. I should know, I've been married so many times."

"I never got the chance to say it." Derek whispered, feeling the tears in his eyes.

"You will." Rossi told him, "Now, let's go check on your girl."

They exited the room, walking back out to the others just as a the doctor walked out of the room. "The family of Soren Hale?" He called out to them.

"That's us." Hotch replied, as they all held onto their breaths.

"Soren was brought to us with over twenty stab wounds along with other wounds, she was rushed into surgery where her heart stopped beating for over a minute." The doctor announced, just as they let the tears fall until he continued. "However, we were able to stabilize her, and stitch up all her wounds. She's resting currently and won't be awake for a few hours, but you are happy to see her."