chapter fourteen - the truth

CHAPTER FOURTEEN - the truth

[THIRD PERSON POV]

THE WALLS OF the interrogation room were starting to irritate Soren, and she was sick and tired at the staring at the same plain, white walls all day long. The silence surrounded her after the agents had left the room to most likely to speak about her and what they were going to do next.

They were going to lock her away and throw away the key.

Soren thought back to her last conversation with her father, remembering his harsh threats before she left to go on yet another mission. Arlo Hale had forced her into doing everything but that didn't mean a small part of her didn't like it. There was something about it that gave her a thrill, it sent shivers down her spine.

She closed her eyes tightly shut; she didn't want to remember anything that had happened, she just wanted to forget and then move away to a small island all on her own. She knew what was going to happen the next time the agents walked into the room, they were going to charge her for anything they could pin on her, and she would be locked up, she was going to be killed before she stepped foot in the prison cell though.

The door suddenly opened; Soren looked up from the table as she made eye contact with a blonde woman. She had a small smile on her face, and her hair was curled loosely. She wasn't wearing a suit - instead a plain shirt with some jeans on - along with a nice pair of boots. She didn't show another ounce of emotion as she walked further into the room, and her eyes narrowed slightly when she made eye contact with Soren. "You gave us some useful information, thank you. You helped us out a lot, Soren."

"And yet I still have no idea who you are." Soren commented, tilting her head to side slightly as she stared at JJ.

"Sorry." JJ chuckled softly. "I'm SSA Jennifer Jareau - or JJ as everyone else calls me."

Hotch watched with the same stern, emotionless expression through the mirror. They had opted to send JJ instead to see how Soren would interact with someone else and so far, she was putting up her walls again and refusing to let anything show. He had expected this, but he wasn't keen on sending Blake or Derek back inside. Blake had gotten good information out, but she was also under the impression that Soren didn't like her as much and Derek showed sympathy towards the woman, and they couldn't risk her using that against them.

The door opened up further, and a police officer stepped inside the room. Soren's heart stopped beating for a moment until he kneeled down beside her and undone the cuffs on her ankles and wrists. She stared down at them in shock until JJ spoke up again.

"I hope you aren't going to make us regret this, Soren."

JJ gestured for Soren to follow her as she led her down a corridor, they continued walking until they came in front of a door labeled 'Agent David Rossi' and JJ stepped inside, she closed the door behind them as Soren followed behind her. And there sitting at the desk with a glass of whiskey in his hands was Agent Rossi along with Hotch who was standing beside him like he was a security guard. Soren glanced around the room, looking for any form of a camera or anything else of the sort but she couldn't find anything, she smirked to herself and sat down in the chair opposite the agents as JJ stood at the door.

"Soren, we want you to go through these lists of locations here and tell us if your father has a safe house in any of them." Rossi leaned forwards as he handed her the list.

Soren's eyes skimmed through the list of addresses, she was familiar with most of them, but she was confused as to why they didn't just check them all considering they had them before she had come back to Virginia. She grabbed the pen from the side, ticking the ones off she knew before sliding it back over to them.

"Why not just check them all?" Soren finally asked. Hotch cleared his throat and glanced at the other agents until Soren put the pieces together. "You just did that to test how honest I'm being. Clever."

"You got us." Rossi replied back. "And you passed the test."

"So, what happens now?"

Rossi sat up a little bit straighter as he leaned forward on the desk, close towards her. "We're still putting that together. For now, you're going to be staying in here with an agent while we sort through everything else."

"Awesome." She muttered under her breath, "Is that all?"

"For now, yes." Hotch replied. "JJ, get Reid to stay in here with her."

JJ left the room, leaving Soren with the two agents in front of her. They all sat in silence until the door reopened and JJ walked inside with Reid. Soren turned her head to them, seeing the figure of a taller man. He was fiddling with his hands nervously, as he smiled at her tight lipped. Soren nodded her head back as she watched him push away a strand of his dark brown hair out of his face. "Hello, Soren. I-I'm Doctor Spencer Reid, I'll be staying with you for a little bit."

"So I have been told." Soren smiled at him.

"We'll be back soon, Reid." Hotch told him as the rest of the agents followed one another out of the office room.

"That just leaves us then, Dr. Reid." Soren tilted her head to the side as she smiled mischievously at him.

"Y-Yes, I suppose it is." Reid responded back; his cheeks flushed a light red as he walked further into the room. The room was locked from the outside for the time being so that Soren didn't run out and try to escape. "Have you ever played chess?" Spencer asked her as she nodded her head enthusiastically.