chapter nine - interrogation

CHAPTER NINE 

[THIRD PERSON POV] 

SYBIL was sat in the metal chair, her foot nervously tapping against the floor as she played with her fingers. The FBI had found her in the airport after she refused to go with her father, so they left her there, Agent Morgan had found her and brought her in, explaining that it was a part of the precaution and they needed to ask her some questions regarding her family, which she agreed too. 

The team watched behind the glass, all interpreting Sybil's body language and behavior. She was clearly nervous, and they knew that made it easier to get answers out of her. They needed more information out of her, Erin Strauss was beginning to pressure Hotch more into finding the networked killer and with Arlo Hale leaving the country it made it even more difficult.

"It's going to be easier to get information out of her, I mean, she looks nervous." Derek Morgan commented, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"That's the thing though," Jennifer Jareau then said, bringing in a different opinion they needed to take into consideration. "This could all be an act. If she knows what her father did then maybe, he taught her how to manipulate people."

"Have Garcia pull out any records that Sybil has, anything that might include her past history. Have her send me it when she's done." Hotch ordered, he looked at JJ who nodded her head and then left the room to go and speak with Penelope Garcia. 

David Rossi, however, was buying whatever act Sybil was displaying. She looked genuinely nervous and based off the past discoveries that they had made; Soren was the one to be most likely to put on the act. Not Sybil. "I don't think she's pretending. She was closest to her mother - not the father - and she works as a primary school teacher. All of it points to a girl wanting a normal life."

"I agree with Rossi, she looks really convincing." Derek commented. "There must be a reason why she didn't go with them."

Hotch nodded. "Rossi, I want you to go and interview her first. See if you can get anything useful out of her."

Sybil was sitting in the chair, she knew that they were going to be coming in soon to speak to her and possibly interrogate her, but she didn't know anything. She had always felt like the black sheep of the family, the one to be the last to know anything and the one to always be left out on things. Especially between her sister and father, they seemed to be two pees in a pod whilst she ran off to her mother looking for some sense of comfort.

The door suddenly opened, and an older looking man walked into the room. His eyes latched onto hers as he took a seat down in front of her, a file being placed down on the center of the table. "Sybil. I'm SSA David Rossi, I'd like to ask you some questions regarding your father and sister."

Sybil nodded her head, clarifying that she understood what he was saying to her. "Okay." She whispered. 

"Why didn't you go with them? I mean, you had every opportunity to go with them, but you chose to stay." Rossi commented, his pointer finger tapping against his mouth. 

Sybil adverted her eyes, refusing to make eye contact with the man as she gulped. "I didn't want too." She noticed that Rossi was about to tell her to continue so she made herself comfortable. "I like my life here and running from everything just didn't seem right to me. I told Soren that I wanted to stay, and she tried to get me to go, I refused and now here I am."

"So, Soren wanted to leave, and you didn't. Why did she want to leave?" Rossi continued on with the interrogation but remained calm throughout. 

Suddenly, Sybil remained silent and chose not to answer the question that regarded her own sister. Even though Sybil didn't understand nor agree with anything that her father had done, she would never want to get Soren into any trouble. 

"I see you don't enjoy speaking about Soren. Is there a particular reason for that?" Rossi inquired.

Sybil shrugged. "I told you everything you need to know. Can I go home now?"

"That won't be possible." Rossi informed her. "You're not telling us something and we need to know."

"I'm telling you everything." 

"And I don't believe you." Rossi said. "Help me out here, Sybil because I'm struggling to understand how you chose to stay here, sit in silence about your sister but then talk whenever I ask about yourself or your parents."

Sybil shook her head, wrapping her head around his words as she thought of the most respectful and polite way to answer. She knew that if she was rude towards him or came off as defensive then he wouldn't believe what she was saying at all. "I'm sorry, but I really can't help you with anything else. Now, can I go home?"

Rossi thought about it before the door opened and Aaron Hotchner looked between them both, a frown permanently etched onto his face as he stared at Sybil, his eyebrows were furrowed, and his mouth set in a straight line. "You're free to leave, Ms. Hale. But we will be in touch if we need to speak to you again."

Sybil didn't waste a second in standing up and leaving the room, grabbing her belongings from JJ as she rushed out of the building. The team gathered themselves together again in the round table room, all sitting in silence until Strauss walked into the room which immediately gained their attention. 

She cleared her throat, connecting her hands together in front of her. "I've just spoken with the Director. He agrees with me that this case should be further investigated, however, you will be working on other cases and this case will only ever be investigated if the murders happen again or there is a break in the case."

"And what about Sybil, are we just letting her go free?" Emily asked the important question.

Erin licked her lips. "We will have an agent look into her, check up on her every so often but we have got to move onto to newer cases. That'll be all, now get yourselves home."

The team packed their things up, none of them were happy that they would only be working on the case in their free time - if they chose too - and they had to move onto different cases. Arlo Hale had been cocky and arrogant, showing off to the team and they refused to let him get away with it but now, he had his daughter - Soren - along with him and that made everything so much more complicated.