chapter ten - return

CHAPTER TEN

[SOREN] 

I RINSED the dye from my hair, looking into the mirror to see my hair now a dark blonde shade instead of my usual dark brown. The color made my light blue eyes shine brighter, making me feel more confident than I ever had been. My father had told me that I needed to change my appearance, including changing my eye color but so far, the contact lenses that I had bought were making my eyes water more than they ever have before.

After we had caught the plane ride to Italy, we had arrived in our hideaway home. A few weeks passed and we had stayed huddled up inside the home to make sure that we wouldn't get caught by the police. 

Dad had been meeting up with a few work acquaintances, talking about plan to keep himself off the grid. No doubt, the FBI were still looking for us, so we needed to remain underground for a long period of time. Hence the dying of my hair and the change in eye color. 

After Sybil had refused to come with us, our dad had to practically drag me to the plane as I refused to leave without my older sister. Despite us not having a close relationship, I always cared and loved for her so leaving without her broke my heart into pieces.

"You done in there?" My dad asked as his knuckles hit against the door. 

I rolled my eyes before opening the door, coming face to face with my dad as he looked me up and down. "Those contact lenses are fucking awful."

"I can tell, goddamn, your eyes are practically redder than blood itself." Dad laughed to himself, "But you gotta put them in."

"No one is going to notice me, dad." I complained, we had still stayed inside for the past couple of weeks and today was our first outing. Dad wasn't going to be joining me today as he had work to discuss with his business partners, so he left me to run the errands.

He worried too much and that was going to end up being the cause of our downfall. He needed to stop his complaining and worrying and move on, accept the fact that things are different now. Dad sighed before looking at me, "I know, kid. But we still have to remain cautious or else the FBI will be on us like a damn dog with a stick."

"Fine, but I don't want to have to put up with this forever." I told him sternly before exiting the bathroom.

Dad didn't reply after that, only turning in the different direction and leaving me to go out onto the Italian streets. I made sure to keep my head down but not look to suspicious as I was aware the FBI team at Quantico, Virginia had contacted the Italian Government to let them know that they currently had two criminals in their country.

Things had changed though; I was less forgiving and was turning out to be like my father more and more as the days went on. Arlo took notice of this quickly and reveled in the fact that he had at least one daughter that was following in his footsteps. And I wasn't exactly naive to the fact either.

As I let out quaint home, I wandered the streets until I came across the store I was meant to go into. When I was finished with what I needed to do, I headed back home making sure to avoid anyone that even looked suspicious. 

I arrived back home; my dad still hadn't returned home after his meetings all day, so I was left alone to cook our tea and prepare the table. I made a simple beef burger with fries on the side before leaving his in the microwave before tucking into my own. 

A few hours later, my dad returned. I hadn't noticed that he had returned until I heard the sound of a tap running upstairs. I wandered up, feeling intrigued as to what he was doing. I didn't realize in the moment what I was walking into. 

I walked around the corner, leaning against the bathroom door with my arms crossed over my chest as I look at my dad rubbing the blood off his face.

"Busy day at work?" 

Dad's head snapped up to mine, widening ever so slightly before he looked down at the sink filled with blood. "You could say that."

"Who was it this time?" I asked him, growing more agitated with him. We were supposed to be staying under the radar, not killing people.

He scoffed to himself, wiping his face with the towel. "Some fuckers who thought he was going to get away with selling us to the cops. Don't worry, Soren, everything is sorted now."

"I wasn't worrying." I cleared up his assumption.

He smirked to himself for a moment. "It's time you took on some more roles. around here."

"Like what exactly?" Knowing my dad, he was planning something that was beyond bizarre, so I was really expecting anything to come out of his mouth.  

Dad stood opposite me, fixing his shirt up before speaking. "It's time you started following in your old man's footsteps."

And just like that, it felt as though my entire life had changed. My hands would be stained with blood and my heart would soon turn stone cold.