chapter seven - meeting

CHAPTER SEVEN

[SOREN]

I HAD just finished my shift at work when I walked inside the coffee store. I was planning on buying a coffee and a slice of chocolate cake like I always did when I always got because the store owner, Meredith, made it herself. She was an elderly woman with no children and her husband had passed away a few years ago so she spent all her time in the bakery creating delicious pastries and deserts.

"Soren! You can here just in time, I finished baking the cake for you." Meredith smiled as she ushered me over to her, she handed me over a slice of the cake along with my coffee as I took a seat down opposite her. "How have you been, darling?"

"I've been good." I said, eating a piece of the cake. "We finished selling the house and the buyers are moving in by the end of the week."

Meredith nodded her head along with the words I was saying, showing a clear interest that she was intently listening to what I was saying. "That's good news, it may be a good thing, you know."

"It is, I just miss having mom here." I admitted, feeling slightly vulnerable near her. "Sybil seems to think that I don't care that mom is dead, but I just can't shake this feeling deep inside me."

"What feeling?" Meredith asked me, but she never pushed me to answer and made me feel comfortable.

I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly, not sure whether or not to actually admit it. "If I say it out loud then that makes it more real and I'm not ready for that just yet, Meredith."

"I understand, hun. Just know that you can talk to me if you want to."

I placed my hand on top of hers for second before removing it, allowing Meredith to get up from the table and return back to her job as more customers started entering the bakery. During my small meal, I got out my phone and replied to any messages along with checking my social media before my phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I asked, not recognizing the number on the top of the screen. "Who is it?"

"Darling, its me." A deep voice spoke through the phone. "It's me. Dad."

"Dad? How come you're ringing me from this phone?" I questioned him, looking around the bakery to make sure that no one else is listening into my conversation. "Is everything okay?"

"We're in trouble, I need you to listen to me for a moment and not speak, you got that?" He said as I hummed through the phone, he continued. "The FBI are looking for me, they think I killed some people which isn't true. I'm leaving the country, I have a plan ticket to Italy and I'm heading out there tonight. Get your sister and meet me at the airport, I got us a private plane for eight o'clock. Can you do that for me?"

"Y-Yeah sure, where should I meet you in the airport?" I asked, already gathering my belongings and leaving the bakery to go and meet Sybil at her work.

"Go to the terminal, ask security for a Lorenzo Russo and he'll bring you to me. Do not say a word to anyone else." My dad finished the call before ending it, I didn't even have a chance to say anything else before he declined the call.

Shivers ran up my spine as I checked around me to make sure that no one else was looking at me or was looking slightly suspicious. I got into my car, driving away towards Sybil's work place and when I pulled up, I quickly got out of the car and rushed inside to the reception where Holly - the receptionist - greeted me with a smile.

"Soren, how can I help you?" Holly asked me, her blonde hair flowing against her skin from the breeze outside.

"I need to speak with Sybil, there's a family emergency." I said quickly, my foot tapping against the ground anxiously. My fingers drummed against the side of my thigh and I tried to calm my nerves down.

"Sure, I'll call her now." Holly informed me as she dialed the number into her phone, a few minutes passed and she put the phone back down. "She's on her way now."

"Thank you." I smiled politely.

Again, a few minutes passed before Sybil walked around the corner with a frantic expression. Her dark hair was swept into a pony tail and she was wearing her smart uniform, so she would also need to get changed for tonight. "Soren? What's going on? Holly said there was a family emergency."

"Get your things and I'll explain in the car." I told her as she grabbed her bag and phone from her locker, we said goodbye to Holly before rushing back over to my car. Once the doors closed, Sybil went to speak but I stopped her before she rambled on. "Dad called me an hour ago, he said that the FBI were looking for him for some murders and that he needed to leave the city. We are meeting him at the airport by eight o'clock. I'm going to drive you home so you can pack everything up."

"Did you just say the FBI? And murder. Are you serious? This has got to be a joke." Sybil rolled her eyes, not believing what I was saying but when my expression remained serious she stared at me. "You're not joking."

"No, I'm not." I confirmed. "So we really need to be quick, Sybil."

"Why would the FBI even be after dad? And plus, if we go after him we could get arrested too."

I shrugged my shoulders, focusing on the road ahead as I came to the road before her home. "I don't know. Now please, hurry up with packing please."

"Only because you said please."

She gathered all of her belongings, packing everything up quickly as I helped her as we then went to my home. I grabbed all my essential items and lots of clothing before locking everything up and sliding the keys back into the house so that no one could get back inside. Then we took the long drive down the airport.