Poses & Sunsets

The Uber ride to wherever we were going was entirely awkward—and it appears the driver felt the same given that he rolled the barrier up, which separated the backseat from the front seat.

I hadn't really been in a Cadillac SUV as an Uber, which was due to Mili ordering the luxury option for Uber—and now I'm not so sure I can go back to standard Uber drives.

This is actually a vibe, well, except for Mili, who still seems upset with how we left our previous conversation.

Finally, after having enough of the tense silence, I said, "Look, I'm sorry for what I said, okay?"

Mili turned her head, her face coated with an amused look, "I know," she said, which easily made my brows furrow.

"Why are you being so quiet then? It's a little weird you know," I said.

She shrugged, "Or maybe it bothers you that I refuse to talk to you," she pointed out.

"It does not," I said, my tone defensive and tight.

Okay, maybe it does, but since I don't understand the why behind this—I won't come close to admitting it aloud.

Mili lazily raised her brows before dropping them back down, "Sure."

I narrowed my eyes. Why does she always manage to have the upper hand when it comes to our conversations?

"Although..." I trailed off, unsure of my next words, but I knew they bordered along the lines of asking more about her.

Maybe it's best if I just leave her alone, even if it feels incredibly hard to.

I shook my head, "Nevermind," I said, listening to my internal thoughts entirely.

"Although what?" Mili said leaning her elbow against the window and letting her head rest against her fist. The action itself was so unintentionally sexy that it made my heart pound nervously in my chest.

I blinked a few times, snapping myself from the spell she had unconsciously put me under.

Cam. I quickly reminded myself.

"So uh why do you refuse to talk to me?" I asked, deciding to not answer her question.

Mili tilted her head, almost like she was surprised that I even asked her such a question, and I could tell she was trying to choose her next words carefully by the sudden silence between us again.

Her dark eyes glanced past me for a moment before meeting mine again, "It's better that we don't... how do I put this?" she said, looking away from me again, and it was clear she was trying to be selective of her words.

It made me wonder if they were about to be offensive in some sort of way.

Mili looked back to me, "We shouldn't be friends—and I would've assumed you'd be entirely supportive of that," she finally said.

I pursed my lips, glancing down at my lap.

I should be supportive of that, especially since I was the one who wanted it first... so why does it feel like I'm not?

Why do I want to know more about her? Why does her presence alone make my heart rate spike?

Regardless of the empty pit growing in my stomach, I mumbled, "I-yeah. I am—I was just curious."

The rest of the car ride remained silent with both of us staring out of the tinted windows in opposite directions of one another.

When the SUV pulled up in front of a beach, I furrowed my brows, but Mili only motioned me to follow along.