RUNAWAY

I finally made it home and took a shower. Larenz wasn't home, I didn't care. My heart was heavy, and I worried about Sterling.

"Tam!"

I heard his voice but didn't budge. Ignoring him, I continued brushing my hair into a ponytail. He stood in the doorway, waiting for me to acknowledge his presence...I didn't.

"Hey, did you get my call?"

"No."

I continued getting dressed while he stood staring at me. Whether he was upset or not no longer mattered. My need to be alone made me annoyed at the sound of his voice.

"What's up with you, Tam?"

"Nothing."

"You're acting weird."

I stopped then looked at him. "I'm taking a trip."

"A trip?"

"Yes, did I stutter?"

I grabbed a duffle bag and took items from different drawers. My fear wasn't fear of him. It was a fear of being alone. This paranoia started when I was put into foster care at eight years old.

All I had was my mother, we had no other family and it was me and her against the world. We didn't have much, but I was happy because I still had her. Soon, she met a man, and after a while, I was dropped off at a shelter.

Mommy has to take care of some things. I need you to be brave, okay? Be good until I get back, Tam-Tam. I love you.

My mother had tears in her eyes when she said those words to me. I instantly knew she wasn't coming back. But the shelter was nice...much better than sleeping in a car, and I got consistent meals.

After a few months, I was picked up by an older woman, and she dropped me off at Miss Regina's house. She was strict, militant, and unaffectionate, but she kept a clean house, kept her foster kids clean, and she could cook her tail off.

When I met Larenz, my life changed. I ran away with him at sixteen, I was so in love. He's older, so he already had his own place, car, and a job. I felt free being with him, and he became my new family.

Everything that I did and accepted was because of those reasons.

"Where are you going?"

"Anywhere but here."

I didn't expect him to stop me, and he didn't. Sometimes, I feel like he's been waiting for this to happen. I grabbed my bag, thinking of what life would be like by myself.

Larenz followed me through the living room but didn't touch me or physically tried to stop me.

"If you walk out that door, there's no coming back. Sterling is just going to use you."

I thought his words would hurt like they always did, but I felt nothing. I stopped, then turned around.

"Who said anything about Sterling?"

"Your actions show it. You've been acting differently ever since you've met him. He may want to fuck you but he's not going to take care of you like I do, Tamryn."

"I don't need anyone to take care of me and I'm not leaving because of Sterling or anyone else."

He smirked. "Where are you going to go? You have no family and your so called friends don't give a fuck about you."

I walked towards him as I took off my engagement ring.

"Neither do you. I smell perfume and pussy all over you. Have a nice life, Larenz."

I flung the ring at his chest and walked out the door. My life was now just beginning.

***

It's been two weeks, and I was finally back home able to relax.

Retaliation was definitely on my mind, but I wanted to be smart about it. Hurried attacks never were my thing, and I always took my time to see what would be more effective.

Shooting back would be the basic reaction, but I've never been basic.

"Alpha, how are you feeling?" Nicky came into the room.

"A lot better. What's going on with the pack?"

"Same, still waiting on your call to retaliate."

I knew Nick was itching to fight. He loves chaos and violence, but I was going to handle the Raven pack myself.

In the next few days, I got things back in order on pack grounds. I was updated on things and expressed what our next move will be concerning finances.

Damages to the shop were quickly repaired, and Onyx Customs was up and running smoothly again. Now, I sat in my office, signing a few documents and checking our account balances.

"Larenz's final check was mailed out."

I gave my secretary a nod, then went back to typing. Larenz quitting was expected, but not seeing Tamryn sucked. She has been constantly on my mind, but I had no way of contacting her.

I tried her cell phone, her place of employment, then I was told Larenz and her were no longer together. Since he was fucking Michelle now, I figured something must of happened.

"Hey babe, can we talk?" Iris came into my office.

"What's up?"

"Michelle wants to come back home but she's scared to ask you."

I knew she was dealing with a few werewolves from other packs but now I think she may be giving private information to some of them.

"What was my answer last time?"

"Come on, babe. She's been holding you down for years."

"You can go with her too."

Iris looked at me surprised. "Are you fucking serious?"

"Does it look like I'm playing?"

Her temper was quick as she banged her fist on my desk.

"Why are you talking to me like that?! All the things I've done for you!"

"Just leave, Iris."

"Don't treat me like I'm nothing! You wouldn't be where you are if it wasn't for me."

I've never snapped or gotten angry with her or any woman, but I was done with the bullshit. I jumped up and snatched her by the throat.

"You really think you're important...don't you?"

She struggled to free herself. "L-Let me go..."

"You think sucking dick and spreading your legs means something to me? You do that for everyone, including Alpha Davis' weak ass."

Her eyes began to water as I squeezed her neck tighter.

"I want your shit out of my home. If you or Michelle comes near me, I will break your fucking necks. Now go tell Alpha Davis what I said and did to you...I'll be waiting."

I let her go and she sobbed. "Sterling, I'm sorry! Please, baby!"

Iris thinking her and Michelle were getting over made me want to laugh. Me playing dumb always reveal people's true colors, and they fall for it every time.

"Get out...now."

She walked out with her head down, and I made a few phone calls.

"Yes, hello. I'm Sterling Aubreo with Onyx Customs. Does Tamryn Rhodes work there?"