PROTECTION

I couldn't believe Marcus would get me caught up in his drama. While he and the woman argued, I grabbed my bag and walked in the opposite direction.

"Tamryn, wait!"

I heard him call my name, but my feet kept moving. I saw the elevator and hurried onto it.

"Yeah, whatever. See you around number seven."

Marcus' baby mother's voice replayed in my head. He must have other women he's entertaining besides me. I'm not surprised, but now I know how to handle him.

I got off the elevator to the main floor, pulling out my phone to call a cab. This trip was definitely over for me.

My address was given to cab dispatch, and I waited in the lobby for my ride.

My eyes noticed a man, tall like Sterling, staring at me from a distance. I looked away not to give him the wrong idea, but then I noticed two other men staring at me as well.

Now my heart started racing.

The notification came that my ride would be outside in five minutes. I immediately got up and walked out the lobby and stood on the sidewalk, waiting for my cab to pull up.

"Tamryn!"

The sound of Marcus' voice made me cringe. I tried to ignore him, but he grabbed my arm to get my attention.

"Let go of me."

"No, wait. Let me explain."

"No, that's okay. Enjoy your weekend."

I moved away from him, but he followed.

"Tamryn, nothing is happening with me and that woman. She's a bitter ex....that's it."

"I really don't care. I just want to go home."

Relief came over me as my cab pulled up. I got in and didn't look back. As the drive progressed, Marcus was no longer on my mind, and soon, I thought about Sterling. A smile showed on my face.

Why was I so afraid of him, yet intrigued?

"Um, excuse me... you passed the exit."

The driver continued to go without saying a word. I felt myself slowly panic...I spoke louder.

"You missed my exit... where are you going?!"

I was so sick and tired of everyone thinking they could get over on me. The door wouldn't unlock, and my anger grew... I reached into my duffle bag and pulled out my pink .22 pistol.

When I became single and living by myself, I made sure I was able to protect myself. I had too many creepy encounters when I started living alone.

There was an opening in the plexi glass that separated the front and back seat. I stuck the head of my pistol in the hole and fired, causing the driver to swerve off the road.

The bullet grazed his ear, causing him to slam on his brakes. I shot the backseat window, shattering it completely. The driver screamed, thinking he was going to die.

I climbed out and grabbed my bag. I ran the opposite direction towards the exit as the man screamed and covered his ear.

***

The walk didn't seem long to Tamryn since her adrenaline was pumping. Once she walked the exit, she could see street lights and signs of stores, restaurants, and a gas station.

When she finally made it to the gas station, she went inside the ladies' room. She cleaned herself up and changed her clothes.

All I wanted to do was go home.

Tamryn held her gun, staring at it. Then the tears ran down her face. She was thankful that she decided to take shooting lessons and finish the course for the gun range.

Alright, Tam, you're okay... Everything is going to be fine.

She picked up her bag and put her gun in the pocket of her hoodie. Once she got her snack and drink, she thought of who she could call to pick her up.

It was almost ten o'clock, and calling another cab turned her off.

Soon, a Mercedes pulled up, and a handsome man in a dark blue suit got out. He was tall with short brown hair, dark eyes, and shadow beard.

He was about to go inside but stopped, looking at Tamryn.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, thank you."

He gave her a nod and then went inside the store. She decided to start walking before it got too late.

The roads were dark as she kept the handle of her gun in her hand. Suddenly, she saw a car drive past her, then slowed to a stop. The same man from the gas station got out.

"I'm not trying to scare you, I just want to help. I don't feel right letting you walk out here alone."

Tamryn looked around, squeezing the gun handle.

"Can I give you a ride to a bus stop or train station?"

"Are you sure?"

He smiled. "Absolutely. My name is Davis."

She walked to the passenger side door. "I'm Tamryn."

"Nice to meet you, Tamryn."