Demons from our past

"You've got to be joking right? Everything about this is a fucking joke!" Max grumbles as he puts his head in his hands, keeping himself from bonking his head on their dinner table.
"Unfortunately it is, I'm sorry Max" he says ever so politely with his hands folded together.
Charles just stares in disbelief before he puts his hand on Max's back. "So there is really nothing we can do about it?"

"You can try, but unfortunately I don't think it would change anything" the man sighed.
"The system is broken I swear, fucking idiots" Max grumbled again as he lifted is head.
"So what now?" He watched from Charles to the other man on the dinner table. Charles just looked down to his hands with a sigh as the other man replied. "You can just wait and see what happens, maybe get his account shut down or get a restraining order in place, but that's about it. I think it's best you work out a plan..." the man said seriously but simpathicly.

"For fuck sake!" Max stood up angrily as he walked through the glass door towards their balcony kicking a medicine ball laying on their balcony in the process.
Both men watched him as Charles then excuses himself to check up on the dutchman. "We will be back in a second!" He said ever so politely as the men waved him of signalling it wasn't a problem. "Yes of course"

Max who was pacing over their balcony, tugging on his lower lip , cursing silently, didn't even notice the glass door opening behind him until the monegasque layed his hand on his shoulder, squeezing it a little and calling his name "Maxy?" He hears him say tiredly.
Max sighed as he turned around resting his hands on his boyfriend's hips "sorry" as Charles hugged him. "It's okay" he breathed as he cradled his boyfriend in his arms "I'm mad too"

As the dutchman pulled back a little he stared in to his boyfriend's green eyes. "I just don't get? Why does this always has to happen? Just when we think we arranged everything so well?"
"I don't know cherie..." he said as he placed his palm on his cheek, brushing his thumb over Max's cheekbone. "What do you want to do?"
The dutchman sighed as he slumped his shoulders "I don't know, is their even anything we can do?" He asked. "At least we can get his account suspended and a restraining order?" The monegasque said carefully.
"Yes, and I think we should do that... but what did we do with... you know? Us?" He asked as he grabbed Charles's hands in his own. "I'm not ashamed off you, off us, you know that. But I wanted to do this our own way and after all the shit that prick already put you through, it isn't fair he wants to take that from us"
"I know..."Charles sighes as he squeezes his hands looking defeated so Max hugs him and kisses his head before pulling back to look at him again.
"But maybe I have a plan" he says as he starts telling his boyfriend. And though it isn't perfect, it's all they can do right now. So they head inside again to discuss the with Paul, their team issued lawyer who agrees and sets everything in to work.

The account gets suspended and a restraining order is placed and for the winter break the couple kind of can forget about it, though it's always in the back of their minds. But they try to focus on each other, their teams and the new cars. Though they can't tell each other about it, you can notice they are both excited and have a good feeling with the car. They try to not pay attention to the ongoing hate Max gets, but on some days it's hard, but they pull through it together. Trying to shut out social media all together.

Soon the new season, with the new cars and the new regulations rolls around. Barcelona and Bahrain winter testing works out well for both, and on both tests Ferrari seems to have the upper hand with Redbull presumably second. Though Mercedes is notoriously known for sandbagging so you never know. Though they claim this year it is unfortunately very true. It's wait and see till the first race weekend for everyone.

The first race weekend is a good one for the monegasque, he gets to start from pole, has a amazing battle with his boyfriend on track while he comes out on top. Battling hard but fair, using every trick that's in the book because they know each other's so well. After their battle Max unfortunately has to retire from the race as his car just stops. Charles is buzzing on the podium hearing the tifosi chant the Il Canto degli Italiani he can't stop smiling as this was what he dreamed off ever since he was a little child. Though he misses the blue of Max's on his right hand side as it should have been him with him on the podium.

After the podium and press conference the monegasque is talking to French media when he feels a squeeze on his shoulder. For a second he is surprised, as it is still new Max seeks out for him in the paddock, especially in public but then he remembers and quickly engages in their conversation. Max tells him about all the things wrong with his car and Charles his shocked. Also the media picks up on this moment between them. surprised by Max's behaviour, or at least the narrative they created around him. In the end the monegasque hopes Redbull soon get their car together as he likes to win, but it feels even better when he gets to battle with Max fairly.

So even though he finishes second, he loved the race. Here in Jeddah Max had the upper hand though he is sure they will battle again finishing only milliseconds apart after fighting it out on track for  at least the half of the race.
Though he has a good feeling next time he will end up on top. And he does but he wishes that Redbull got their a shit together and fixed the car. It seemed unfair. If the car keeps breaking down Max doesn't even get a chance to defend his title. But Charles learns the hard way you should be careful with what you wish for. On track as well as off track.