Chapter 40-Aftermath of Dance

Elizabeth POV

"Elizabeth, we're here. Wake up."

I gaspedgasped softly, sat up in Hannibal's car, and surveilled my surroundings. I looked around to see if I was either at Chilton's house or in the middle of the woods.

"What's the matter?" Hannibal asks me.

Like an idiot, I began to stutter,

"I-I-I thought that-"

"What? That I would abandon you in the middle of nowhere and leave you to die?" Hannibal jokes. He may be joking, but I could see him doing that to me.

My breathing halted for a while. Did this man seriously read my mind?

"No, I thought that I was dreaming for a while."

Hannibal chuckled and placed the car in park. Hannibal then leaves the car and walks towards the driver's side. I quickly grab my phone from the floor and turn off the recording. Hannibal opens the door and offers his hand to escort me out of the car. As I grabbed Hannibal's hand, I stumbled out of the vehicle. The drive and being asleep didn't help me at all. Hannibal catches me in his arms. Hannibal chuckles, and it doesn't help that his cologne is intoxicating. Hannibal chuckles as he always does and says to me,

"I must always be near you, so I catch you when you fall."

I pushed myself away from Hannibal, and I fixed my dress. I then say to Hannibal,

"There won't be a need. I can walk perfectly fine without you."

Hannibal smiled and led the way. I pull my house keys out of the purse and open the door.

"Well, thank you, Hannibal, for bringing me home. And your party was spectacular."

Hannibal nodded his head and then told me,

"You looked gorgeous tonight. I couldn't take my eyes off of you. Andrew is a lucky man. I hope that, in time, you and I can be friends and that everything we have been through together will only bring us closer."

I so desperately want to laugh in his face. Hannibal and I becoming friends? The day Hell freezes over, then he and I can be friends. Hannibal picked up my hand and kissed it. A slight blush comes across my face, but I try to conceal it. Hannibal then walks back to his car and drives off. I enter the home and shut the door. I pressed my back against the door, subconsciously thinking I could let Hannibal out of my life forever. I was so mad at myself and everyone. Where were Andrew and Jack when I needed them? Where was Chilton, of all people? I then begin to yell out in the empty house. 

"Frederick! Are you home? Frederick!"

No answer. Goddamn it.
I then get my phone and check the recording. So far, from what I can hear, it's the conversation that Hannibal and I had before I passed out. Then, I hear Hannibal talking to himself.

"I know you probably can't hear me, Elizabeth. I can't seem to escape from you. When I see you, I'm reminded of someone that I was once in love with. Her face is faint, but you have her spirit. So innocent, so fair. Though it may not look like it, I'd burn this world for you and you alone."

I stopped the recording. My eyes were brimming with tears. I couldn't bear to listen to it anymore. I can't understand Hannibal. He's crazy. I remind him of someone he once loved. I don't know how Hannibal can change his opinion of me every fucking time. My train of thought was interrupted when I got a phone call from Andrew. I immediately began to yell at him.

"Andrew, where the hell have you been? I'm so goddamn angry at you!"

"I had no choice! I had to leave! Jack grabbed me, and he took me with him! Elizabeth, I know you're pissed, but I have much to tell you. I'll come by, and I'll tell you more."

Andrew hangs up, and I sigh in disbelief. Aside from being upset, I'm also hungry. I decide to pour a handful of hot funyuns into a bowl with a soda. I know that isn't a healthy choice, but I was so hungry I could've eaten the whole buffet at a Golden Corral. I waited for Andrew to show up, and I could hear the car pulling into the driveway. I don't know what will scare Andrew more: Hannibal taking me home or what Hannibal whispered to me as he and I danced.