Chapter 46-Chilton's Bad Luck

Elizabeth POV

Frederick jumped into the shower. Will and I sat in the dining room, waiting for Frederick. I then decided to make some coffee for Frederick and have an extra stiff drink on hand in case Frederick didn't want coffee. After a while, Frederick walked into the room, wearing fresh clothes and carrying his bloody clothes in a paper bag. He looks more relaxed than he did when he arrived.

"Coffee or whiskey?" I ask Frederick.

"Whiskey first, then coffee. You know how I take it." Frederick answered.

I handed Frederick the whiskey glass. Frederick then scarfed down the drink and gave me the glass, implying he wanted a refill. Will stood up and walked over to where Frederick and I were standing.

"Dr. Chilton, what happened? We can't help you if you're being secretive about why you had so much blood on her clothes."

Frederick gulped down the whiskey and then sighed with trembling breath. What Frederick began to tell me and Will shocked me to my core.

"I arrived home, and it was quiet. As I was in the kitchen, I could hear a faint, steady beeping. I then investigated the sound, and as I headed downstairs to the wine cellar, I heard what sounded like a flatline. You know, the ones where you hear the constant beep? Like in those hospital dramas? I then open the door to an extra storage space. I keep a lot of extra cookware and kitchenware stored in that room. As I opened the door, there was Abel Gideon, dead in a hospital bed. He had no limbs. No arms! No legs! He was just dead! His eyes were open! I didn't know what to do, so I ran back upstairs. As I was running up the stairs, I tripped on some bags. I fell on my face, and when I looked up, there was Hannibal. He smiled coyly and said, "Hello, Frederick.".

My heart dropped when Frederick stopped. He began to tear up a little. I did as well because I had a shocking realization: if I hadn't gone to visit Will when I decided to, I probably would've been at home, and Hannibal could've killed me as well.

"What else happened?" Will asked.

Frederick cleared his throat and drank some coffee.

"Well, when I looked up, Hannibal was wearing a plastic suit over his regular suit. He was wearing clear latex gloves and even wore those disposable shoe covers. Then the doorbell rang. I saw two silhouettes. Hannibal told me that it was the FBI, and I tried to run to the door, but Hannibal grabbed me and placed a cloth over my face. Hannibal told me something. He told me my only choice would be to run when I woke up. It was only after that I passed out, and I saw Hannibal going to answer the door. I don't know how long time had passed, and when I woke up, I was covered in blood, and I had a gun on my lap. I also had a knife in my left hand, which was also covered in blood. I then walked into my kitchen and found the two FBI agents who had come to see me. Both were dead. One agent was propped onto my kitchen counter like a dummy. And his intestines were hanging out of his body. The other agent was on my kitchen table with knives, scissors, and instruments stuck in his body. I had no choice. I had to come here."

I sighed heavily and sat back in my chair. Frederick then jumped up from his seat and started to re-organize his bag.

"I have the same profile as Hannibal. Same medical and psychological background. We are both doctors of note in our fields. Of course, it would be me! Hannibal was never going to kill me. I'm his patsy. I have to leave the country. I am leaving the country."

Will quickly says,

"No, if you run, you look guilty."

"You did not run, and you looked plenty guilty. Abel Gideon was half-eaten in my guest room. I have corpses on my property. You just threw up an ear." Chilton replies. 

"There's an APB on you right now. They've canceled credit cards, and they're tracing your phone." Will states. 

"I have cash, and I tossed my phone. Jack Crawford thinks I killed two or three agents if you include Beverly. Do you know what happens to people who do that? Shoot on sight." Chilton says with fear. 

Will then says, 

"I'm going to prove Hannibal Lecter is the Chesapeake Ripper."

"I know you will. And when you do, I will read about it from a secure location, and I will reintroduce myself to society at that time."  Chilton says. 

Suddenly, the dogs started barking. We all looked towards the window. Chilton walks past me and checks the window. A car is pulling up. 

"Will, what have you done?" Chilton asks. 

"I called Jack Crawford."

My heart dropped. I was scared for Frederick, and at the same time, I knew that Dad could probably help us, but with the way that Dad was feeling, he wouldn't hesitate to kill Frederick. 

"N-N-No!!" Frederick yelled. 

Frederick pulled a gun from his jacket pocket and pointed it towards Will. I immediately step in front of Will. I yell loudly, 

"Frederick, stop! This isn't you!"

"Step out of the way, or I'll kill you next." Frederick seethed. 

Will rose from his chair, chuckled, and said, 

"You're not a killer, Frederick."

As Will was walking away to see Jack, I felt the gun against my lower back. I gasped softly. 

"If Jack comes in, I'll shoot you," Frederick whispers. 

"The last person that tried using me as a shield almost died. Don't fuck with me, Chilton." I snap angrily. 

I could feel Chilton playing with my hair. His voice then began to tremble. 

"Please, Elizabeth. Please help me." 

I turn to look at Chilton and grab his face with my right hand. 

"Will and I are going to fix this. We can fight this. We'll prove your innocence. Just run, Frederick. Run." 

Chilton then kissed my cheek and ran out the back door. He left his bag behind. I hear the front door open, and I see my Dad walking with his gun pulled out. Dad ran past me and out the door. I followed Dad, and I could hear gunfire and shouting. I run as fast as my legs can carry me. I then see Dad pointing his gun at Chilton. 

"Please. Please!" Chilton whimpers as Dad points a gun at him. Dad then lowers his weapon and places Chilton under arrest. What would happen next would be the end of everything and anything. My faith in the system would be shattered and torn.