Chapter 43-Forgive

Elizabeth POV

Miriam Lass was taken to the FBI headquarters for examination. While I didn't participate in the initial investigation, I watched closely to see if she had any reactions. It was never known how Miriam was taken or who was the last person who saw her over two years ago. As I'm looking at Miriam, I can see she's muttering to herself and refusing to make eye contact with anyone. I went ahead and left it to the professionals. I was exhausted, and I wanted to go home. Before I could walk towards the elevators, I was stopped by Jack.

"I need to talk with you. Can we go to my office?"

I begrudgingly walk with Jack and head to his office. Jack gestures to me to sit down, but I refuse, preferring to stay standing in case I need to walk out dramatically.

"Listen. I know these past weeks and months have been hard on our relationship. When Will was arrested, you and I became enemies. You moved out of the house, you won't talk to me at all, and what's worse is that your mother is suffering because of-"

I raised my hand in protest and interrupted him,

"Before you say that mom is affected by our war, just know I've been to see her. Neither she nor I have to tell you everything that goes on with our lives. Mom tried to take her life, and Hannibal resuscitated her and took her to the hospital. Every day after work, both Andrew and I have been to the hospital to see her. I couldn't continue my life if I knew I'd never see her again. After all, she was the one who decided to go to the orphanage that cold December afternoon, and she found me. She saved me, if anything. I love Mom with all of my heart."

Tears threatened to fall from my eyes, and I quickly turned away from Jack. There was so much that I wanted to tell Jack. I heard footsteps behind me, and Jack whispered,

"Look at me."

I didn't listen.

"Elizabeth, please look at me."

I finally turned around and looked at Jack. He lifted my face to look at him. Finally, tears were falling from my eyes, and Jack wiped them. Jack held me in his arms, and that was when I broke down. After months of anguish and bitterness against Jack, I finally let it go. Jack held me close, and I could hear his heartbeat. I could feel something wet trailing down my neck. I then realized that Jack was crying, too. I finally felt it in my heart that maybe it was time to forgive Jack. After our tearful reunion, Jack finally finished his thought. He wiped his eyes and leaned against his desk. I finally took a seat and listened to what he had to say.

"When Beverly died, I was convinced she was killed by someone else; the real Chesapeake Ripper. I think its safe to say that Will didn't kill her, and the only suspect that I had in mind was-"

I then say,

"Hannibal? I have something to show you but don't want to do here. Even walls have ears, and I don't want to risk being exposed."

Dad nodded and stood from the edge of the desk. I got up as well and began to walk with him. I felt his hand on my shoulder, and I turned around. It was then that I gave Dad another hug. I needed to make up for lost time. Dad reciprocated my hug and held me tighter. Wait a minute, I'm calling him Dad again. I only called him by his first name because of my anger, but whatever we were going through has subsided. For once, we're on the same side. For once, he and I are willing to work together and try to bring the real killer to justice. Jack and I then proceed to walk towards an interrogation room where Miriam Lass was waiting for us to assist with a voice line-up, which is like a line-up for criminals except instead of faces, she'd try to recognize the voice. First up,
Hannibal Lecter.