Chapter 44-Free For Now

Elizabeth POV

Dad and I returned to one of the interrogation rooms where another FBI agent and Miriam Lass were waiting for us. As we entered the room, Miriam looked through the see-through glass. On the other side of the glass were Hannibal and Alana. I then sit next to Dad, and we both watch Miriam intensely. Alana then begins to talk with Hannibal. 

"They found a witness. A survivor. The only victim of the Chesapeake Ripper who lived to tell the tale."

Hannibal then stares inquisitively around the room. Then he asks, 

"Is this witness watching me now?"

"Yes," Alana responds. 

Hannibal then leans back in his chair and says, 

"It seems I am the usual suspect." Hannibal's face looked so angry and annoyed.

I could feel Miriam's anxiety, and the room was filled with dread. I looked at Dad, and he looked back at me. Hannibal seems to be catching up with what we're thinking about him. 

I could see how Alana looked super uncomfortable asking Hannibal questions. 

"I keep having angry, imaginary conversations with Jack Crawford about that. I wish I could tell you why this is happening."  

Hannibal begins to study the room, trying to see whether or not people are observing him. Hannibal then says, 

"His witness must not be able to identify the Ripper by sight."

Hannibal then stands up and walks around the metallic table where Alana sits. 

"Jack wants them to hear my voice; otherwise, I'd be in here alone. Right?" 

Alana shakes her head in agreement. Both she and Hannibal stare at each other for a while until Hannibal says, 

"Still, I appreciate your company." 

Hannibal then walks over to the mirror where we are positioned. I then stare at Miriam to see her reaction to Hannibal. He says nothing and continues to stare. The entire ordeal feels like a horror movie, where we are the victims, just waiting for the killer to find our hiding spot. After a while, I looked at Miriam and saw a hint of nervousness, and Miriam looked petrified. After a short time, Miriam says to us,

"It's not him."

Dad isn't convinced, and neither am I. Miriam isn't making eye contact with us, making me doubt her story. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" Miriam said in a raised tone. She settled her fashion and continued, 

"He's not the Ripper."

Dad looked in disbelief and didn't know what to say. I was in the same position, and it was killing me.

I then get a text message from Chilton. The federal charges on Will were dropped. He's being set free. 

The Next Day

I woke up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to go and see Will. Dad promised that he'd meet me at the State Hospital. The night before, I had spoken to Chilton, explaining that Dad and I had made up and would move back in with my parents and help care for Mom, too, now that she'd continued her chemotherapy at the house. Although Chilton was annoyed at losing free money, he told me he would miss my company. I had told Chilton I'd be back later to place my things in boxes and move them back to my parents. I arrived at the State Hospital, and I felt sad. Gideon still wasn't found, and it has been assumed that he and the Ripper are now working together.