Chapter 3

Harriet quickly changed out of her travel wear, taking a quick shower and throwing on a pair of jeans and a cropped cardigan. Her silver hair was pulled up into a topknot while she gathered her belongings. Round tortoiseshell glasses perched on her nose, delicately framing her face. She went downstairs.

It was close to six at night. Her stomach grumbled as she was reminded of the fact that she hadn't eaten since her flight. Plane food never sat right in her, always making her either have nausea or a loss of appetite. She had the latter up until now.

The scent of Italian cooking hit her nose as she walked into the kitchen. The two kids played outside in the garden while Claudia spoke on the phone. Marco was busy, making dinner for the family. She waved at him and walked out into the back garden.

Ember held a bottle of bubbles, while Caleb thought the rocks and grass were far more intriguing than the sticky liquid dancing around him. Harriet smiled at that. Children always found a way to get dirty.

Claudia spotted her, waved, and started walking away. Well, Harriet guessed nanny duty started now. Ember ran up to her. Her hands, sticky from the bubbles, clamped onto Harriet's arm and rubbed soap into her skin.

"I wanna have drawings on my arm," she said so innocently. Harriet giggled, poking her nose with her finger.

"Maybe one day," she winked.

"What's that?" She pointed to the bird on her inner arm.

"It's a tui, a native bird back where I am from. They have the most beautiful songs," she told her. "And this is Pohutukawa. It's our Christmas tree," she told her.

Ember shook her head. "No, Christmas trees are big and green, and have pokey things."

Harriet chuckled, "Very true."

Marco came out, a white apron on top of his black tee and jeans. His toothy smile - something she would never get over - shone as he watched the kids play. "Dinner!" he called out.

Ember ran in while Caleb stayed occupied with the grass. Harriet had to walk over and pick him up. His beady eyes instantly filled with tears until he saw it was Harriet who was holding him.

"Dinner, mister," she hummed as they walked in.

Claudia was nowhere to be seen. Ember sat at the dining table, babbling on about some imaginative game she came up with. She pointed out to Harriet where Caleb usually sat. Harriet fastened him in the booster chair, while his tiny chubby finger grabbed her shirt.

"Dinner, bub," she replied. He let go of her, eyebrows furrowing as she helped Marco dish out dinner.

"How long will you be here for? Are you leaving soon?" Ember asked. "We didn't have a long playdate."

Harriet giggled. "No, I am not leaving soon. Guess what?" she whispered.

"What?" Her eyes widened with curiosity.

"I am sleeping over...forever," she whispered.

Ember's mouth dropped open, "No way."

"Yes, way."

"Then you will have to be my new best friend," she said, taking her fork out and stabbing the pasta dish with it. Caleb was using his fingers, smearing tomato sauce all over his face, but his smile gleamed as he did it.

"Wow, me? Your best friend? I would be honoured," she gushed. Ember grinned, laughing and smiling. She was truly a happy child.

Once dinner was over, it was time for the kids to have their nightly bedtime baths. Gathering the two, they all headed upstairs together. Being her vocal self, Ember talked about school and painting a butterfly in class, which now was alive because she saw it in the park...kids and their wicked imagination. All Harriet could do was nod along.