Chapter 14

The day came. Harriet stood in front of the tall glass skyscraper from the past Saturday. Today was the day when she began to work there. It was a new beginning to a new chapter. Harriet saw it as more of an "unproblematic" work environment, which was what she needed. With a jump in her step, she entered.

The woman from Saturday was back at her desk, talking to a man in a grey suit. His hair was longer, dark sandy blonde, close to brown, and combed back. His voice was deep – obviously British – as he leaned over to talk to the receptionist.

The tattooed woman looked over and saw Harriet in a red polka dot wrap skirt with a white turtleneck sweater tucked in. Harriet had her new brunette hair pulled into a low bun and paired her look with chunky gold jewelry. Meeting Kate's eyes, she gripped harder onto her bag and took a deep breath. Her feet began to walk closer to where the two figures were.

"Hi, Harriet. Here's your new pass, and Viola will come down in a minute to give you the full tour," Kate smiled, red lipstick complementing her white teeth and overall aesthetic of black hair, tattoos, and chic business wear.

"Thank you," Harriet grinned.

The male, roughly six-foot-one, turned around to face Harriet. He was older, his late thirties, with light stubble, and gorgeous earthy green eyes. He had a boyish look to him and most definitely was a gentleman.

"You're new?" he asked, leaning against the counter as he turned his attention to Harriet.

"Yes, it's very exciting," Harriet beamed, pushing her glasses up her nose.

"Atticus Astor," he smirked, locking eyes.

"Harriet Kensington," she nodded to him. Atticus Astor owned the company. More handsome in person, he seemed like the type of guy to bring home to your mother.

"Pleasure to meet you. Welcome to the AVA House. What's your position?"

"Junior editor." He nodded, smile still shining just as bright.

"Well, welcome. Hope to see you around," he beamed, placing his hand on her shoulder and squeezing it lightly before walking away. His touch lingered, so comforting, soft, and gentle. It was as if she craved it more. In all honesty, she couldn't deny how handsome he was.

The girl prayed that she wouldn't have a 'Jax situation' all over again. However, her gaze lingered on his figure as it sauntered to the elevator. She couldn't deny the fluttery feeling in her stomach.

"Harriet!" Viola's clicking heels came into earshot as the brunette turned around, spotting the platinum bob.

The floor was beautiful. It held an industrial vibe yet a glamorous feel to it. Crystal chandeliers, brick walls, and black podiums were holding the place up. Viola showed her the 23rd floor where Harriet would be working. She had a cubicle in the corner by the window that overlooked London. In her eyes, she felt spoiled. There was even a brand-new Mac computer on her desk. It was perfect, and the recent brunette was in heaven.

"Make yourself at home. You will need to read a few manuscripts a week and edit them. Once they are done, send them off to the senior editor and repeat the process. We are a family. You're part of the romance team. Everything we do is in the romance genre. This floor is a fix of erotic and contemporary works. Mr. Astor will probably pop down here once or twice a week. He is an extremely sweet man," she continued her introduction as they got into the elevator.

Viola scanned her key card and pressed the thirtieth-floor button. "We are going to the top now, Mr. Astor works up here. I am not sure if he is in today, but we can see," she mused as they went up.

Harriet sent her a smile, holding her bag close to her still as the elevator dinged. The two of them walked off, Viola waving to the receptionist.

"Hi, Chloe."