Chapter 12

Harriet got out of the cab with a tear-soaked face. She handed the driver cash as she spotted the red brick building where her friend lived. The driver sent her a small, sad smile after he noticed the blotchiness on her face.

"I hope you feel better," he said to her in an Indian accent.

"Thank you," she mumbled, rolling the suitcase to the front doors.

Cameron raced out, slamming into Harriet's body. Quickly hugging the woman as she rocked Harriet back and forth, shushing her. Harriet cried softly.

"What happened?" she asked, cupping her cheeks and wiping the tears away.

Through her sobs, Cameron tried to understand her mumbles. "I got fired for fucking Jax. His wife found-"

"Oh, my God. One that sucks. And two, you should've known better," she chuckled, rubbing her back and guiding her into the building.

"I think it'll be better for all of us. He was just too controlling and manipulating. I think I am better without him," she cried as the two of them walked up the stairs to the old apartment.

The building was older, therefore no elevator. There were creaking stairs and thin walls, the perks of living in such an old place. Cameron's apartment was newer looking, but still held the personality of the original architecture. With the original brick walls still showing, the kitchen was modern mixed with a dignified past. The whole apartment held an eclectic theme, retro and funky. The kitchen was sage green, and the bathroom was white with black dotted wallpaper. It was very fun, the whole interior. Gold frames and trim mixed with wooden floors that creaked and a toilet that plugged at least once a week. Nevertheless, the place held its own personality and mind.

"Let's drink," Cameron responded. Music to her ears, Harriet smiled and laughed.

"You know me too well," she replied as her friend threw her arm over her shoulder.

The two of them sat on Cameron's couch, tequila in the middle as they did shots at four in the afternoon. Junk food covered the table as they drank their feelings and laughed about the old times. Who knows how many drinks she had? She lost count after five.

"Let's recap, girl," Cam said. "Why did you leave New Zealand?"

Harriet sighed. "To leave drama."

"What was your one rule when you got to England?"

"To not fall in love," she mumbled, knowing where this was going.

Her best friend raised an eyebrow and a drink to her. "And how did that work?"

Harriet groaned loudly. "You know," she rolled her eyes, "you know I have loved him since the very moment he entered my life and still loved him when he left."

"You're fucked, girl," Cam muttered, sipping her drink.

Harriet groaned. "New chapter time, I have an interview tomorrow with The AVA House...for a junior editor position. It's exciting. I loved working for Samantha Way in NZ."

"Well," Cameron began, pouring two more shots, "let's just hope your new boss isn't someone from your past, married with kids, extremely hot, or all three," she joked.

Harriet laughed. "Yes, let's hope. I feel like my life has turned into some stupid, mediocre, rom-com. He has so many issues and a complicated marriage. I had to leave," she explained then sighed. "He isn't my soulmate or anything, I think. He is just an old friend from my past. To a new chapter," she cheered as the two of them clinked their glasses and downed the burning liquor.

Her phone rang for the millionth time, groaning she pressed decline to Jax's call. However, persistent Jax sent her a text.

New Message at 18:32