Chapter 10

Sandy was cleaning Harriet's bedroom, removing the sheets to get washed, and vacuuming the area. She came upon the ripped foil on the ground and the used condom in the garbage. The older lady smirked. She called her employer to let her know that her theories were correct: Harriet and her husband were not only having an affair...but in the house.

Idiots.

* * *

Friday came around, her last day here and then there was the interview on Saturday. For one, she was quite excited that her resume was accepted. She had an interview booked at The AVA House the next day. It was a prestigious publishing firm located in London as well as New York City, Vancouver, and Auckland. If she was accepted, she could live in any of those locations or go home. It was exciting, she could admit to herself.

With a smile, she walked down the staircase. The classic screaming of Jax from his office and the squeals of children's laughter echoed through the walls. Were they up? Questioning the commotion, she quickly ran down the stairs and turned to the kitchen. Claudia was cooking up a storm. She laughed and smiled at her daughter, who was drawing a picture and munching on a piece of toast.

"Morning," she said, nodding to the silver-haired woman. Harriet sent a kind smile to the woman as she walked around to say good morning to the kids. "Pack up your stuff, I expect you to be gone by noon."

It was harsh, with no emotion as she looked over and sent her a scowl. Harriet scrunched her eyebrows, biting her lip as her eyes widened.

"What? I know today-"

"You're fired," she declared, looking at the woman across from her.

Eyes blinking rapidly, Harriet choked. "What?"

"Pack your shit and leave," she said again, anger laced in her voice. "Do I need to spell it out?" she quipped, raising an eyebrow with her hands on her hips.

"Claudia-"

"It is Mrs. Alderidge. Missus Alderidge to you," she interrupted, dropping the spatula to the side. She walked over to the younger woman. "You should've thought twice before you fucked my husband in my house," she spat with a whisper, "get out!"

Harriet backed up and quickly turned around, running up the stairs. Tears flooded her vision. The embarrassment she felt at that moment! She was absolutely mortified, ashamed, and felt downright dirty. What had just happened? The woman had turned vile even evil. Harriet had been fired because she fucked her boss' husband. She should've seen it coming.

'But he told me it was an open marriage...'

Grabbing her shit, she threw it into her bag. Wiping the tears away, she mustered up the strength to leave as fast as she could. She called a cab and exited without a single goodbye. She was a homewrecker. Harriet couldn't believe it. She had fallen for his trap, and she had ruined everything. It was all her fault. If she hadn't done this, it could've been ok.

Harriet called Cameron, asking her friend if it was ok for her to sleep on her couch tonight. Not asking why the brunette agreed but expected her to spill the details as soon as she arrived.

Pulling her suitcase down the stairs, she raced out of the house. Jax's booming voice could be heard outside as she saw the black taxi pull up. Taking one last look at the manor, she got in.

Harriet was good at running. The only thing she was good at was running.