Chapter 25

Harriet laid in bed that night. Jax's arm draped across her figure as he snored lightly by her ear. Her eyes glanced at the clock. It was just past three in the morning. For the first time since the two started their relationship again, she found that he was truly being honest. It felt good. However, there were words echoing in her mind that she hadn't brought up to him.

"I hired you not Claudia."

What does that mean? She remembered specifically that her interview was with Claudia. Claudia was the one she was in contact with, so what did he mean that he hired her? Was it part of that manipulation play he does to try, and mind fuck her?

Harriet stirred a little, a heavy breath escaping her lips as she tried to get comfortable in the grand king-sized bed. Her eyes focused on the bright lights of the city through the giant windows. Jax was asleep, next to her. She felt his chest and leg hair tickling her smooth flesh. His leg was wrapped firmly around her, making her stuck in his hold. She could feel his little breaths on the back of her neck as he snored gently. Harriet could get used to this.

"Jax," she mumbled. He didn't move in the slightest. Trying again, Harriet gripped his arm, trying to pry off his hold. "Jax."

"Go to sleep, Kitten," he mumbled, gripping her harder and snuggling deeper into her.

"Jax," she whispered.

"Yes," he mumbled. His eyes were still closed, but he was now partly awake.

"I need to ask you a question."

"Shoot."

She turned around in his grasp. The tip of her nose was now touching his. His eyes opened, and instantly she was met with his ocean orbs, the greens, and blues clouding his iris. She felt his touch on her hip as he tried to keep his eyes open, yet sleep was winning.

"You mentioned that you hired me, but that doesn't make sense. I was contacted by Claudia."

His fingers played with her hair, pushing the strands behind her ear as he tried to find his words. "Claudia was in contact with you, Kit, but I was the one who sent her your ad," he told her, kissing her cheek and then setting his hand back on her hip. "Go to sleep, Kit, it's really late and I know you will think yourself to death."

She scrunched her eyebrows, narrowing her eyes at him. "Why didn't you contact me?" Harriet was confused. Did Jax try to reach out to her? Jax quite possibly did try and find her, but Harriet was too stubborn to notice.

"I was scared that you wouldn't accept it. It's been thirteen years, Kit. I was so scared that I would contact you and you had a whole life or that you wouldn't accept the job offer because of me. I was scared you would run if it was me. I thought you would be mad that it had been thirteen years I didn't know that you were actually hired until that night in the kitchen. There were others she was looking at."

She nodded, kissing his lips. "So, you did try and find me? As you promised," she mumbled. Jax nodded, biting his lip. "You let me think that you were this man who..." she trailed off.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I didn't want to scare you off. It sounds stupid now, Kit, but you're easily frightened," he told her. "Now sleep, please."

"You actually-"

"Kitten, there hasn't been a day that has gone by which I haven't thought of you. Sleep now."

Harriet didn't let it go. "Jax, just tell me everything, please."

He sighed, propping himself on his elbows and clearing his throat. She turned to face him, watching him with eager eyes.