Chapter five

I was surprised.

Will was gay?

He didn't tell me?

Why didn't he tell me?

"Say something."  He almost begs me.  I didn't know what to say.

"I don't care if your gay, Will.  I wouldn't stop being your friend for something so stupid."  I smile.  He smiles back in relief and looks back down at the table.

"Thank you."  He says quietly.  I nod.

"As long as you're happy, I'm happy."  I somewhat lie.  He thanks me again.

I didn't understand why I was feeling like this.  I'm happy for Will.  I kept saying to myself.  I should be happy for him.  But that's not true.  I'm not happy for him.  I didn't want someone to be more important then me in Will's life.  That sounds so selfish, especially after the way I've treated him. 

We ate the rest of our food and joked around for a bit until we both noticed the boy enter the building.  Will muttered something under his breath but smiled once the boy saw us.

He walks over to us and sits down next to Will, who didn't look comfortable at all.

Or maybe he was just tired.

Or maybe I'm just making things up.

I really don't know.

"I'm Ezra, Will's boyfriend."  He introduces himself loudly.  I know that made Will uncomfortable by the way he kept bitting his nails.

"Mike.  Nice to meet you."  I nod. 

"You too."  He says shortly.  He turns to Will.

"You didn't tell me you were going out today.  I would have joined you."  He say's.  Will shrugs as he grabs another french fry.

"Last minute plan."  He says shortly.

"You're not supposed to lie."  The boy Ezra say's while grabbing Will's hand.

"I'm not."  Will looks at him.  "I have no reason to lie to you."

Ezra kisses the top of Will's head, muttering 'good' under his breath.  He stood up and walked away, not saying anything else.

I already hate him.

I look at Will.  He seems so shaken up, his breathing was uneven and his eyes seemed clouded with fear.

I didn't understand why at first.

Until I recognized the look from when we were younger.

***

Word Count: 370
Date Published: 2/22/23