Chapter fourteen

The rest of the week went by insanely fast.  Before I knew it, it was the day I had to go back home.

Joyce, El, Will and I waited in the airport.  El and Joyce had gone off to the coffee shop.  Will stayed with me.

"Promise to write?"  I ask him.  He nods with a smile.

"Of course."

"Be careful, alright?"  I ask him quietly while turning to look at him.  He looks back at me and nods.

"You too."

"Tell me everything that happens."  He knows I'm referring to Ezra and he nods.

"I promise."  He smiles.  I noticed he had been doing more and more of that as the week went on.

"And promise you won't do anything to yourself?"  I ask him.  He told me he had been hurting himself, cutting himself, pretty much since they've moved.

He nods once more.  "I promise.  Don't worry to much, alright?"

"I can't promise that."  I laugh quietly.

We made a few more promises to each other before I had to board my plane.  He hugs me tightly and I hug him back, a little surprised but happy.

"Thank you, Mike."  He says quietly while pulling away from me.  I smile.

"I'll see you in a few months."  I say quietly before walking away to board the plane back to Hawkins.

These next few months were going to be absolute hell.

***

Word Count: 240
Date Published: 2/23/23