Chapter thirteen

*back to Mikes pov.*

***

I watch as Ezra storms out of the house.  Will stood in his doorway for a long few seconds before he walked over to us.

"You okay?"  I ask him as he sits down on the couch.  I sit next to him and El sits in the armchair.

He nods.  "Fine."  He says quietly.

I know he's not fine.  He's clearly not fine.

"I'll let you two talk."  El says while standing up and leaving the room.  I'm so grateful for her.

"I'm proud of you."  I say to him.  He smiles a little bit but he was still looking to the floor.

"Thanks."  He replies quietly.

A silence fell over the room, a silence I didn't know how to break.

"Did you mean what you said last night?"  He finally asks.  I was sort of surprised he would bring that up so soon but I nodded anyway.

"I meant every word of it."  He was silent again so I broke the silence.  "Do you believe me?"

He shakes his head with a smile and he finally looks at me.  "Not at all."

I smile back.  "Well I did." 

"What now?"  He asks while picking at his fingers.  I wasn't sure what to say.

On one hand, I knew we both wanted to be together.  We would both be happy.

On the opposite hand, he just got out of a toxic relationship and I didn't want to force him into a long distance one right away.

"That's up to you."  I finally decided.  "You guys just broke up, and if we were to be..together..it would be long distance."

"Can we give it until maybe the summer?"  He asks quietly.  "I just don't know what to do right now."  He admits, his voice breaking.

"Yeah, of course."  I say softly.

I always had a certain voice I tried to talk to Will in.  When we were younger and growing up together I was loud and yelled a lot.  I learned that because of everything he went through with his dad, he hated when people raised they're voices.  So I created a certain voice I only used for Will.  I sort of forgot about it after the argument we had last summer.

I knew if we did get together I would have to be more careful about that.  A part of me was scared I would treat him horribly.  But the other part of me knew that would never happen.

***

Word Count: 422
Date Published: 2/22/23