9

While Irene showed Jennie everything she needed to know, Jisoo entered her grandmother's room.

"Did you want to talk to me, grandma?"

"Yes! Come over here." the old woman gestured with her right hand for Jisoo to come closer. "How is your fiancée?"

"She's ok. Why?"

"I liked her a lot." grandma Kim paused. "She seems to me to be a very decided woman."

"She's even too much" Jisoo put her hands on her hips. "Sometimes it even annoys me."

"If it pissed you off so much, you wouldn't go that far in this story, would you?" Jisoo turned to look at her granddaughter.

Grandma Kim was a very knowledgeable lady, she always caught things in the air, even the hardest to unravel. Knowing that, Jisoo wondered if at some point in the very few hours that she was with Jennie in front of her, she did something that made her grandma suspect that all that was nothing more than a farce.

"What do you mean by that, grandma?" Jisoo just asked.

"Nobody goes that far for someone who doesn't have the slightest feeling in their heart" she approached her granddaughter. "I know there's a lot more to this story than you're telling and I don't care to know the details, because you've already decided. I'm old, but I'm not blind, my granddaughter."

"Grandma... it's... I..."

"Okay. You don't have to explain yourself" she took something out of her pajama pocket and put it in the younger one's hand. "It will be more efficient if she has an engagement ring on her finger. That was mine, it'll bring you good luck."

"W-what?" Jisoo looked at the ring that was in her hand and then at her grandmother. "Grandma..."

"Give it to her tomorrow at my party. I don't know how this all started, but I feel like it had to start somewhere."

"Start somehow?" Jisoo expression was one of complete embarrassment.

"Be kind to her, Jisoo, a precious stone is not easily found, you have to look a lot among so many stones that are disposable. After you find it, you have to polish it so that it becomes shiny and valuable. It's no different with relationships, be it of any kind" she took Jisoo hands to her granddaughter's face. "Neither of you two are disposable to each other, maybe you just haven't noticed yet. Then think of your grandmother's words."

"But tomorrow is your birthday, grandma. I can't just announce that I'm getting married and give away that ring."

"Why not? I've already lived 89 birthdays, but a great love only lives once " she started to move away.

"Grandma, but we don't..."

"Think about what I told you and you'll understand what I'm talking about" the older sat on the bed. "Now go to your bride. I have to get some beauty sleep so I'll look presentable at my party tomorrow."

Her grandmother was not a sphinx, but she loved to throw out riddles for her grandchildren to solve on their own.

At a certain point in the conversation Jisoo understood that Grandma Kim knew the two were lying, but what did all the rest mean? What did all that metaphor with gems mean? Was she or Jennie precious prey? More questions than her brain would have to deal with to find an answer.

"Good night, grandma!" she wished, placing a kiss on grandma's head.

Going back to her room, Jisoo noticed that Jennie wasn't there. Taking advantage of the brunette's absence, she kept the wedding ring she had won thinking about how she would tell her about her grandmother's present and, by all indications, she knew that the two were lying.